Sign in to follow this  
someone

VATSIM Weather

Where does VATSIM get it's weather from? I'm just now getting back on VATSIM after being away for a while. After getting everything set up, I connected and did a quick local flight in an uncontrolled area to make sure everything worked.The weather VATSIM sent was nowhere near the actual weather. I usually fly with FS9's real weather function, and use real a weather brefing from DUATS or ADDS. FS doesn't always get it right, it's about an hour behind current weather, but it's close enough.Is it required to use VATSIM's weather, or can I use FS's weather?

>Where does VATSIM get it's weather from? I'm just now>getting back on VATSIM after being away for a while. After>getting everything set up, I connected and did a quick local>flight in an uncontrolled area to make sure everything>worked.>>The weather VATSIM sent was nowhere near the actual weather. >I usually fly with FS9's real weather function, and use real a>weather brefing from DUATS or ADDS. FS doesn't always get it>right, it's about an hour behind current weather, but it's>close enough.>>Is it required to use VATSIM's weather, or can I use FS's>weather?>The reason why VATSIM prefers you use their weather is because #1: You need to be using the same altimeter setting as controllers in order to have an accurate seperation. #2: Controllers need to be seeing the same inclement weather that you're making a fuss about. ;)What I do find odd is what you're saying about VATSIM weather. I use FSMETEO to generate my weather and whether I use FSMETEO's weather servers or VATSIM's I get the same result (meaning VATSIM's weather appears accurate to me). Elaborate on this a bit and we'll see if we can't get you sorted out.

Before I launched the sim, I used DUATS to get a briefing for a local flight. It showed sever clear within 25 miles of the airport. I connected to vatsim, and I've got three layers of scattered clouds.Maybe it was just a glitch that particular time. I tried just now and it's showing the same conditions as the current METAR.

VATSIM wx is always behind by hours it seems. Most ppl nowadays use Activesky/FSmeteo or default FS9 wx. When I do my ATIS when controlling, I use the actual real worl metar currently in use as this reflects what most pilots logging on see on there sim. Use whatever you want (I use Activesky 2.0).

Eric 

Guest rcritz

No, it is not. It's rarely behind by more than an hour and it gets it from the same source as just about everyone else: NOAA.