Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

How do I return to Unicom? (Voice)

After talking on an ATC frequency, how do I return voice to the Unicom 122.8 channel? To better explain, see the following example:1. Initiated a flight plan from KLAX to KORD. 2. KLAX was not manned, so 122.8 was the only choice, and when AVC activated, and Unicom was selected in the ATC directory, both my radio comm frequencey and voice were on Unicom (122.8). I was able to communicate by voice (radio checks) with no problem.3. When I crossed into the next region, I selected the ATC directory option of ABQ_V_Ctr. Both voice and my comm radio went to this frequency, and I communicated by voice.4. After leaving this region and entering the Kansas City Area which was also unmanned, I switched back to Unicom 122.8 in the SB ATC directory. My comm radio switched to unicom and I could communicate by text on this frequency, but voice remains on the ABQ_V_Ctr frequency.I realize I am probably overlooking the obvious, but how do I get voice back on unicom after such a situation?ThanksRTH

Ahh. I see where you're going with this. You're AVC client has a default voice server and channel. This is probably the channel you're thinking is UNICOM but it's actually an arbitrary channel that many others are also defaulted to. If you really want voice "UNICOM" (though it's not really voice UNICOM since other users on UNICOM are not necessarily on the same server & channel as you), just start up AVC independently and make a note of the server and channel. You can then enter it manually, click connect, and get back to your default voice server.This is probably not the most convenient thing you were looking for but it will work and it'll accomplish what you're looking for. It's my understanding that UNICOM is essentially a text only proposition for VATSIM.-Chandler