Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Geoff

position info

Guest Captain Geoff

I'm a newbie at Vatsim. Yikes!I think I have most everything working - but on the VATSIM site I can see my flightplan - Good! But when I go to the visual display I'm seeing all zeros for my data - lat/lon,alt,squawk, etc.What am I doing wrong?Senior Captain, Pier Glass Aviation

Guest XavierVN

Hia,How did you sent your flightplan on Vatsim, via the "File Flightplan" function on the Vatsim website, or via squawkbox ?What do you mean with visual display? At what moment does this appear?Xavier

Guest Captain Geoff

I actually sent it both ways. In fact I'm flying now and I see me (N168SC) on the list of pilots.On vatsim.net go to the network area of the side bar, select visual display and a map of the world comes up with all the flights.Select Aircraft Details at the bottom of the map and find my plane - all of the navigation data is zero, so even though I think I'm connected my data isn't apparently getting through. I do see people coming and going on the MSFS chat window. When I try and do a radio check (via chat window) I get an error - invalid frequency! I'm on 122.8. (both in squawk box and on my radio com1).Oh this is frustrating!Senior Captain, Pier Glass Aviation

Guest XavierVN

Hia,Indeed I see your "zero" data, and if this can bring you some consolation, you are not alone...However this is certainly not normal.Did you visit the Pilot resource center? http://vatsim.net/prcA thing that happened to me some times, when flying online, is I forgot to set "Avionics" "on" (def. FS keyboard shortcut: Shift-A)I am sure on a real plane, you can not fly when this is set to off, but with FS(2002) it is possible.If you fly with FS2004, I am of not much help because I use FS2002.With FS2004, check you did everithing right with SB relay & so on.You will find all you need to know in the Pilot resource center.Hope you can fix your problem soon!Regards,Xavier

Guest Captain Geoff

Thanks, Xavier.I did check the resources (and of course I'm still trying). With so many pieces to run correctly(!) it's hard to tell what could be wrong.I find it curious that it tells me I'm on the wrong freq. do we need to use a registered copy of FSUIPC? it keeps telling me to install it and it is installed and selectable as a menu item on MSFS2004. And I use it for other things as well.arrrggh!Senior Captain, Pier Glass Aviation

Guest Captain Geoff

Darn! Oh well, I needed to register it anyway to use some other modules.Ok, so now FSUIPC is registered, but still the data on the visual display is zero. I'm reading the FAQs slowly going through them. One I just read says there's a tutorial for FS2004. No link to it. Could the advice mean inside the Basic Manual?WHY IS THIS SO HARD? If I ever get this figured out I'm gonna post a STEP-BY-STEP for anyone using WinXp, FS2004. This is insane! It shouldn't be this hard. (frustration level mounting soon to the point where I'll just chuck the whole idea.)Senior Captain, Pier Glass Aviation

Guest Captain Geoff

AHA!The key is in the Basic Manual. I just didn't see it. After having tediously done everything it said for FS2004 .....I'M ON!!! Yea Haw!!!see you in the skies....Senior Captain, Pier Glass Aviation