Hi,Noticed you have an option called 'Ignore real world weather' in SB Host in the same menu you connect to VATSIM, file your flight plan etc. Can someone tell me what that option does? What real world weather will be ignored if I check this option - the rww in SB or FS9? And what weather option should I use in FS9 when flying online on VATSIM - does it matter or does SB override the weather settings I choose in FS9 unless I check this option in SB?As you probably understood by now I'm not too sure how the weather works when flying online...;-)Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Guest rcritz

You check that option if and only if you're using a weather add-on. Having it unchecked allows SB to set the weather in your sim.

OK, and having it checked and use FS9's real world weather is not recommended?The reason I ask is because I find the weather set by SB far from satisfing with no rain or snow and the clouds in FS9 are also much nicer than the clouds generated by SB.

Richard Åsberg

Guest dweese

FS9's weather is 100% better then SB, not sure why because the both get the data from almost the same place. But what you are doing is fine, that is the way I run it on my system.

Hi Dave,Well, actually I haven't tried anything yet but using SB's weather when flying online. So what you are saying is that you have the 'Ignore real world weather' option checked in SB and then you use FS9's real world weather instead when flying online and it works OK?

Richard Åsberg

Guest dweese

Works great :) Setup like that.I have found a little problem in FS9 weather when using multi-player, if I load the weather at the fligh creation menu, the sound stops working. So wait to load FS9 weather once you are in the aircraft.

Guest zip

Just a note on the subject:VATSIM weather doesn't necessarily coincide with real world weather because of network and update delays. This can cause minor problems with winds and runway assignments for example. We have many pilots who ask why their winds are different from what we see on the controlling side.Consequently, it's be best to use VATSIM weather where possible, and add-ons like ActiveSky can greatly assist in enhancing your online weather experience.

Guest dweese

This topic was talked about a lot in the SB3 forum when the question was asked if SB3 need to control FS weather.The Vatsim weather system reads its data from the basically the same network FS gets its weather from. So yes once in a blue moon the 2 can be out when new updates come in, but if it does happen is only for a few minutes, and most of the time its only a small amount. Its not the problem that is use to be.And by the way SB3 will have weather control. :)

Guest leadZERO

How well does ActiveSky work with VATSIM?I've been using the SB weather, however, I find it ugly at times. I frequently will pass from one station to the other to have it jump, go from cloud cover everywhere and calm winds to clear skies and a brisk wind, this sends the plane into a tantrem as it tries to adjust.

Guest dweese

Never used it but have been told it works great on Vatsim

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Guest schmidtrock

Active Sky works wonderfully ! Highly recommended.Regards,

Hmmm...if I select "Ignore Real World Weather" and set "clear skies" in FS9, then I have clear skies on VATSIM even if the local real world weather is IFR. I do that often when flying for a new controller during an OTS session and want to throw some VFR traffic at him.This seems to contradict an earlier recommendation to only select "Ignore Real World Weather" if I am using a third-party weather add-on, which I don't.Is there a reason NOT to do this on VATSIM?

Rick Ryan

Guest dweese

If your turning Weather off and ignoring Vatsim weather and going with clear skies, then no there will be no problem. The problem on happens if you set your winds to something other that what the active RWY at your arrival airport is layed out for, then you may have to fly with a cross wind or something like that.