Sign in to follow this  
Guest mruane

Limited Resource Vatsim Wannabe

Guest mruane

Hi AllIts like this... Before I obtained my present notebook PC I had a regular desktop machine which was capable of handling the software needed to operate online using Vatsim. Those were happy times. I did not get online much because I wanted to develop sufficient skill so that I would not be a complete nuisance to others online and ATC. To me - online flying is the missing link between a good hobby and a really great hobby.Then I had to get rid of the desktop machine and use a notebook and after installing FS9 discovered that I needed quite a bit more software to get online (i.e. SBHost, RW, SB etc). I managed to get FS9 running reasonably well but it uses all the resource I have available (in terms of CPU), so that when I get all the other online software fired up, FS9 just turns into a slideshow. I find that I can run Teamspeak alongside FS9 without too much problem, but the required Vatsim support software is just out of the question with my present hardware.My question is this; can you foresee a time when all I need to get online with Vatsim is just one support program that uses only a moderate amount of CPU - or do you see the present support software being the only tools that are available for some time yet?(I have noticed that one other online agency operates with a simgle piece of software so I guess it must be possible.)

Guest dweese

First question, why are you trying to run Teamspeak with VatsimYes a new version of Squawkbox is in the works, that will work all of the other software in to 1 program.You can find info here about it www.squawkbox.ca No date has been set for it so please don't ask (goes for beta testing as well) But Joel does give 3 or 4 updates a month on how he is doing.

Guest mruane

Sorry Dave, I didn't mean to give the impression that I was trying to use Teamspeak with VatSim. I fully realise that will not work. The point I was making was that I am capable of running certain other programs in addition to FS9 on my platform without FS9 turning into a slide show. But that three or four other programs blows me out of the water. Your other comments though indicate that there is hope for the likes of me. Patience then...Thanks for the feedback.

Guest Marv

Yep,FS9 is as all versions, a CPU killer. I don't know if you want to try FS2k2 or not, but there is one less program. SBox, SBHost and Flightsim. I believe that FS2k is just SBox and FS., if interested. But the graphics of yesterday make it almost not worth doing. Marv

Guest mruane

Hi Marv,No, I don't think going back to FS2K2 is going to do it for me either. I am more than happy to be patient and just await the new SB3. I can well imagine the significant amount of work in that project and the fact that the developer also has a "proper job". So I will just continue to get more practise in airmanship and look forward to the release of SB3. Thank goodness for developers like that eh!

Guest Marv

You bet!The developers that devote their time to this deserve much respect. Nothing else like this anywhere, donated bandwidth, free ware programs, etc., etc., Absolutly amazing. Marv