Sign in to follow this  

Overclocked to 1.9 from 1.5!- heres the story

Firstly, I'd like to thank all the people that replied to the cpu temp thread.I downloaded Motherboard Monitor 5, and used the help to configure it. Now here's the storyMy specs are P41.5Ghz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, WIN XP PROBefore I overclocked, I made a note of the CPu temp in the bios ( it was about 41C) Then I overclocked it, and using a little tool called AtivaSpeed I saw that I was now at 1900Mhz.Ofcourse, I was wary of the CPU temp, so after about half an hour, I quickly rebooted and entered the bios. Temp was about 43C.Now, I downloaded Motherboard Monitor 5, configured it, and now the temp display on the system tray reads 31C.(remember, the PC is already overclocked)I ran the comp for two hours, during the last hour I ran CPU BURN. When it finished its hour long test, I made a note of the temp on the sys tray (31C) and rebooted, then entered the BIOS.CPU temp was about 47C, and some other temp was about 25C.Now I am back to 1550mhz as I dont know if I should go and overclock to 1900.For some reason I think the temp reading by Motherboard Monitor is false/not working correctly, as even now, it's still 31C.Also, if i do go ahead and overclock to 1900, is 47C a good temperature?The computer is in a place wehre the air-conditioner is constantly on at about 20-25C.Also, I was thinking of getting a fan. What are the recommended ones for what I am about to do, and how much would it cost?Thanks for reading this

I think you're fine on the temperatures. Generally, with a P4 anything below 60 isn't going to be a problem. The P4's will throttle back automatically as the temp rises. The throttle-back temp varies by processor speed and I'm not sure about the 1.5's but it's probably up around 67-68 degrees. A quick check of the specs at the Intel website will verify if for you if it's a concern. 41 at idle and 47-50 with a full load sounds fine though. But 31 is definitely not the core temp - it's not high enough and is probably the mobo temp probe, not the CPU core. Check the MBM website to be sure that you have picked the right probe for your motherboard. There is a large mobo listing there which should let you identify the specific probe needed to measure the core temp. One of the best core temperature tests, BTW, it to simply run FS2002 for a few minutes. The 100% processor utilization of FS2002 will tell you almost immediately what the full-load temperature is. It only takes a few seconds to get up to max temp (that's why the heatsink and fan are so important) and you have to measure the temp with the load on as it will cool almost as quickly. I'd go back to 1900 and not worry too much but be sure you have nailed down the proper temp probe first so as to measure exactly what's going on.TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57030.30's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 12055http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4088814

AMD's run pretty warm, anything under 60c isn't a problem. When I was running a XP2000+ it was running at 52c and this was with default clock speeds and one of the best heatsink/fan combos around.I wouldn't be too worried unless you're hitting 55+

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Hi tripthanks for the speedy reply. i tried searching the guru3d site for the probes, but i couldn't find it.my motherboard appears to be a VC11 (First international computer is the logo i get when i boot) I'm going to search some more, as is it somewherethanks again hi john, just saw your reply as i posted this thread. as far as i gather, P4 is cooler than AMD, so shouldn't really hit 55C and higher

See http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ for the MBM site. The links for the mobo manufacturers probe data are listed at the bottom of the menu on the lefthand side of the page. The VC-11 doesn't show under FIC but from what's there is looks like the CPU probe is most probably Winbond 2.TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57030.30's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 12055http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4088814

I found the info for the max core junction temp from Intel. On the 423-pin 1.5's it's 73C and for the 478-pin it's 71C. So...not to worry about anything you've seen so far.TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57030.30's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 12055http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4088814

I looked at MBM5's settings, but I can't find anything called Winboard.This is what I see on the temps page->Sorry for the unintelligent responses

The only temperature reading I get is between 31-32C, now that I've overclocked It seems MBM5 can't figure out the name of the manufacturer and other things like that. I'm very very confused, what is winbond exactly? i've looked thru all the settings and i cant find any mentioning of it.my motherboard is an FIC VC11 P41.5 now at 1895mhz according to MBM5. i looked at the 'probe' for it on the guru3d site, but it's greek to me

Oops, my fault. Sorry, I guessed that one wrongly. Winbond is the company that makes the sensor chips for many of the older FIC Intel-based boards. But it looks like they also use the LMxx sensors made by National Semiconductor. The LM80 is what you want to select. What is the temperature reading with that choice? (Since MBM can see the LM80 it should also provide an accurate readout on the temps and voltages.) TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57030.30's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 12055http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4088814

Do you have a site where Motherboard Monitor can be downloaded? I can't seem to locate it in the shareware arena. Thanks!Keith

Hi trip thanks for the replies so far.there is only one board sensor for the temperature, and that is the 'LM80' one. It reports a temperature of 31C. FS2002 running gives me not more than 33C. Is this right? I get the feeling this is too low. Maybe this isn't the CPU temp? Before I overclocked it stayed at the 28-30C level.thx

Just rebooted my comp after about 14hours work @ 1900mhz. Temp in the BIOS was 47C, temp with MBM5 is still 31C(either its measuring something else or it doesn't know how to measure it properly)thanks

Well, it may just be that even though MBM "sees" the LM80 it won't properly handle the temps or voltages. I'd drop a note to Alex (his address is on the MBM site) and ask him if you've been "chasing gooses". You may also want to try the MBM forum. I'm outta ideas.Trip