Sign in to follow this  
Guest pdlowry

Destination ATIS

Guest pdlowry

I would much appreciate some assistance as to the best way to obtain the ATIS for a destination airport. I am able to get it on ServInfo if there is a tower or ground controller who has posted the ATIS. But what am I expected to do otherwise particularly if controlled by a center where there may or may not be an approach controller and there is no tower or ground controller? PDL.

Guest leadZERO

Best way I have found...I use ActiveSky2004 for my weather and it has a very nice feature called ActiveWatch or something. Anytime you tune a COM radio to 122.0mhz it gives you the ATIS/weather for your closest reporting station as well as your destination. And it doesn't just scroll it, it speaks it! Really nice feature.

Guest pdlowry

Thanks for your repsonse, but does it work for VATSIM? I have understood that programs like Active Sky, FSMeteo, or, for that matter, the FS Wx could not be used when flying online. I have not been online long but do I not have to get my weather, and hence ATIS, from the VATSIM network?PDL.

Guest 737NGCapt

From a controllers P.O.V., In Miami if were working DEP or higher, we'll have the destination airport in our ATIS. Otherwise, i'd suggest using ServInfo.AJ LongResearch and Marketing VP - Hyperion Airwayshttp://www.HyperionAirways.comVATSIM Miami ARTCC Air Traffic ControllerMicrosoft Windows XP Home Edition

Guest leadZERO

Can't speak for the others, but ActiveSky2004 works like a charm. There are all kinds of options to include route smoothing and other fun stuff. There is also an option for VATSIM Weather, I'm not sure what it does, but I think it gets weather from the VATSIM server instead.

Guest pdlowry

It sounds like I should give Active Sky a try. I have read some more now and realize that add-on programs can be used. Can you say whether the ATIS identification (Information Alfa, Bravo, etc.)corresponds with the ATIS ident you would get for VATSIM from the controllers?PDL.

Guest leadZERO

That I don't know, I haven't messed around with it enough to see how exact the results are. Last time there was some discrepency in the METAR timestamp, but the reports were almost identical. Tons of people use and love it though. :)

Guest pdlowry

Thanks then. I think I will give Active Sky a try and see what happens. From what you say, it sounds like the answer. Peter Lowry