Sign in to follow this  
wrenchca

Servinfo Problems

I've just gotten a new computer, however, I can't get Servinfo to work on it. I'm not running any firewall on the computer, however, I have a router with a firewall. Does anyone know the proper ports that Servinfo needs to use so that I can open them?Thanks,

Guest rcritz

ServInfo is straight HTTP. If you can use a browser, it will work (unless you have a firewall that blocks applications by name).cz

Very curious, I just downloaded ServInfo and installed it on a computer in a different room and it works fine. Tried downloading a new copy to my FS computer and running that, on the off chance the download was bad, but no joy.Must be some setting that I'm forgetting about on the new computer. Can't update the squawkbox IPs or try to get online without this.Any ideas, anyone...?

Guest dweese

Not sure what is going on with this one as well, never hear of it. Did you try to e-mail the creator of Servinfo?As for the IPs152.104.96.225 ASIA-S200.223.140.250 BRAZIL-C137.56.42.18 EUROPE-C212.47.22.26 EUROPE-CE195.205.20.162 EUROPE-E1195.78.48.15 EUROPE-E2195.23.79.203 EUROPE-W210.15.254.125 OCEANIA80.249.98.88 UK-166.98.168.65 USA-S166.221.192.84 USA-S3208.224.174.24 USA-SE216.93.170.44 USA-WCopy that to your ipaddr.txt file in your SB folder delete all the old ones first. That is what Servinfo is giving right now.

Fired off an email to the creator of Servinfo a few days ago, but no reply so far. Anyone out there have any ideas...anyone?Thanks to Dave, I was able to update my SB server info, but I'm connecting blind. I have tried using Vatsim's Who's online, but Servinfo would be soooo much nicer.

Hello Chuck,Sorry I couldn't reply your mail, I was away and just returned from vacations. If you still have this problem check this (copied from a post I have made some time ago at this forum):This could be a problem that has been reported to me by some other users recently and is caused by a virus infection (a trojan type). In this case do the following:Search for a system file named "protocol" (NOT protocol.ini, just protocol with NO EXTENSION - if you have set windows explorer to hide known extensions you might confuse these two files). It is located at the "C:Windowssystem32driversetc" directory for WinXP (for Win98 it is in "C:Windows").If you find that this file is missing from this directory then you are probably not infected but that's causing the problem to ServInfo - I will send you this file.If the file is there then check that the above location has not been altered in the windows registry (that's one of the things this virous would do). To do this open the registry editor:Start -> Run -> REGEDITnavigate (or seach) to this key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesTcpipParameters(could also instead of "CurrentControlSet" be two keys with ControlSet001 and ControlSet002, or something similar)and see if the value is :"DataBasePath"="%SystemRoot%System32driversetc"If it is instead anything else (e.g "DataBasePath"="%SystemRoot%help") then you have been infected from this virus. Restoring this entry to the correct value will make ServInfo work again. However, you should use your antivirus software to check for the infection. A long time ago I have found these links for a virus that does this thing:http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...jan.qhosts.htmlhttp://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp...&virus_k=100719but there might be other viruses that could do the same.Michael

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

YOU ARE A GOD!!!:-lol I have been fighting with this for weeks. A couple of quick edits to the registry and good as new. I have Norton working full time now and just finished sorting out my router.Thanks again.:-beerchug

Guest SamGreenwood

Hi there!Well, I can not connect to any server on Servinfo v2.02 at all. I have looked through all the help topics and looked through every forum I could find, but nothing helps. I just get the blinking "loading", and nothing happens?1. I don't have any viruses or trojans (I tried what Michael said, and I didn't have that trojan problem, and I also tried using that protocol file in my system32/drivers/etc folder). I've used various freeware scanning programs to check this out. 2. I don't use a firewall or router. I have tried using proxy and non-proxy connection settings. I have tried connecting to IVAO and custom networks, but the same thing happens. "Loading" and nothing else.3. I don't use any anti-virus software.4. I've also tried holding down shift before clicking on 'Vatsim' or 'Ivao'. Nothing happens. I've also reinstalled the program about 10 times. Still doesn't load anything.I have XP Home with SP1. I use a standard LAN broadband connection with, as i've said, no firewall enabled.What on Earth could it be that's causing this!?!?

Guest BeachComer

Sam,You have a direct broadband connection to the Internet with no firewall, router, or antivirus, and you *also* have COMM trouble using simple, HTTP-based software. You say your system is clean, but how do you know? Available evidence seems to contraindicate that. I do PC and network support for a major regional clinic, and we record rashes of RPC probes monthly. Netsky is particularly active in email right now. We're clean, but we spend dozens of manhours and hundreds of $$ on antivirus and checkups. So tell me, how DO you keep your system clean? I'm sure my employers would love to learn your secret! ;-)It would seem, absent further info conclusively documenting otherwise, that you must indeed have *some* sort of unauthorized impediment, possibly in your winsock files -- heck, spyware I've run across does that.What about your hosts file? And can you ping one of the servers?Also, you need to have enough room for SI to create temp files. Do you?

Guest SamGreenwood

First of all, thanks for the reply.Well, of course, in the modern world of internet surfing, even the most high-tech of AV software will not stop some trojans or other annoying spyware, as they update those malicious programs to stay ahead of most AV software. All I can tell you after running various system scans is that my system has no detectable virus or spyware (I run a fully updated "Adaware SE" twice a week). I may have some trojan that I am unaware of, but it is DEFINITELY not a "qhost" trojan problem that Michael documented, because I have vigorously checked through every relevant registry key. So i'm asking for help. What other trojan could it be? Where could the problem be lying? What should I be looking for in the winsock files? What hosts files should I look for and what should I be looking for within those files?I pinged the UK-1 server (80.249.98.88) just fine with an average of 45ms. I successfully pinged the USA-S1 server (66.98.168.65) averaging 147ms. I have over 6GB left on my hardisk (I have only one hardisk) so adequate space (or lack thereof) is NOT an issue either.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest BeachComer

Well...In the realm of single-variable testing, the obvious thing to try is to borrow a computer with SI already installed and working, bring it over to your place and see if it worked there. A computer which used the same connection type (IOW PPPOE, DHCP, hardwired IP, whatever) as yours would be best, not only to minimize the work but to also minimize calls from the friend who loaned you his box and now that he's got it back, can't connect! :-grrForced to work within the confines of one box, and in order of "effort to do and undo", first thing I'd do is make sure my hosts file was intact. (five paragraphs about hosts file snipped out after testing and finding that while it breaks, it doesn't break in the way you're experiencing)Next, I'd try Safe Mode with Networking, first trying a browser (to see if you can get any pages at all), then SI. I don't have time to test, but I suspect that either you'll not be able to browse or get SI data, or you'll be able to do both. If you can do both, then some software that loads in Unsafe Mode ;-) is the problem.Next, pinging. The servers you mention aren't the ones that SI contacts to get "who's online" data. Try pinging these:

• *] usa-w.vatsim.net
  • vatsim.liveatc.net
  • level27.ca

If you can get them, comm isn't the problem.You should have vatsim.loc and ivao.loc files in your ServInfo folder. Do you?Finally -- you don't say how you know you're virus-free. Viruses and the things AdAware (and SpyBot) look for "ain't" in the same class, except in the case of a few examples of the very worst spyware I've found which is so much like a virus that it is, in fact, detected by virus scanners. Viruses only sometimes use startup locations visible to msconfig (in case that is what you're relying on besides AA). There are literally dozens of registry startup locations, and (by naming a dll something else) virtually an infinity of file-based locations available. Unless you can claim expert-level knowledge of these starting places, then (since you don't mention any means besides AA for your basis of knowing you're clean), and lacking AV protection, I must gently, respectfully, but firmly as I know how, point out that you can't, in reality, know. I have seen online-based virus scanners fail to pick up the more subtle viruses. I have seen infected machines seem clean after installing a Windows-based scanner and scanning with current defs. I have seen more than a few already-infected machines that passed even clean-boot-to-DOS-based scanners, but turned out to have (EG) 27 virus-infected files when scanned by connecting the disk to another machine and running a Windows-based scanner. You owe it to yourself to get at least a DOS-based scanner and thoroughly (that means every file, not just executables) scan with current defs. Unless you're on AOL (which has always had a shielding effect, not to mention the current version which offers some kind of actual AV), if you are running a broadband connection with XP, no router or NAT, no AV, no firewall, and turn out to not have a virus -- I'll eat crow. :-erks You'll be the first in five years of pretty intensive (for a front line support person) virus work.

Guest SamGreenwood

Thanks for a reply again. It would help me if you were less of a self-proclaiming expert in networking, and more of a help in actually telling me what virus(es) could be stopping me connecting to the Servinfo listed servers, and what my winsock files should look like?The only "virus" i've seen on any forum (the forum mentioning it happens to be this one) that is reported to stop loading servers is that "qhosts" trojan, and as i've said, I don't have it after checking all of the relevant registry keys. I have run a MacAfee 2005 full system scan on the newest defs, and not found a single thing. I've run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, and Spy Bazooka without detecting more than a single piece of spyware that would not harm Servinfo at all. So just go and eat that crow ;)*gives you a knife and fork*Well, after pinging the servers you gave me, ony "level27.ca" didn't give a response. Both of the others gave over 180ms.I know that Servinfo tries those servers as well after a failed attempt to connect, and despite me pinging them (not including level27.ca) without a problem, I can't get Servinfo to load.I don't know anyone else with XP Home SP1 that uses Vatsim or Servinfo, so that option is not viable.Now i'm going to reboot in safe mode with networking and see what happens..I feel that i'm going to call someone at Microsoft soon..

Guest SamGreenwood

Hi again,I've now re-installed McAfee 2005, loaded the latest defs, and performed a full system scan.It found two small viruses (low threat), so it actually worked, but still no affect on Servinfo. I even disabled the windows system restore function before deleting the viruses and restarted my pc. I then re-installed Servinfo v2.02, but it still won't load any data!I do have both the VATSIM.loc and ivao.loc files. I even have that little 'protocol' file in my system32/drivers/etc folder that helped someone else with this same issue. I am now officially stumped. I want to try rebooting in safe modus allowing networking, but i'm afraid that will mess up some settings on my system.I'll wait and see what you have to say, beachcomer, and then call Microsoft. I have a feeling it's an XP Home SP1 problem. That would be no surprise at all!The person who started this thread said he couldn't get it to work with XP Home, but it worked fine on the same connection with XP Pro.

Actually, I was trying to get it to work with XP Pro. I had no problems getting it to work on XP Home. You say you have no problems that have already been pointed out? Did you check the registry entry closely? Just having the correct file in the right folder won't do it if the registry is pointing to the wrong file. Double check the last paragraph in the mfrantz post above. I also had another glitch where I couldn't open notepad...it had somehow been renamed notpad. Had to hunt down the executable and rename it. Not sure how much help I can be, but will keep checking back.ChuckCYXU