Sign in to follow this  
Guest David Lee 2

Squawk box on 2nd computer?

Guest David Lee 2

I asked this question a few months ago and someone gave me a link to the solution. Now that I need it, naturally I can't find it! ;-) Anyone willing to take pity on this feeble mind and offer it up again? ThanksDavid

Guest MB327

David,I use Squawkbox on my laptop over my LAN while flying on my main computer. If that is what you are interested in doing, you need to purchase WideFS. This is a program written by Pete Dowson. It is available here: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlThe program consists of a module (WideServer.dll) which is placed in the FS modules folder, and a program (wideclient.exe) which is placed on your 2nd computer. Both have associated ".ini" files. There are extensive directions for installing WideFS in the readme and pdf files that come with the program. The probram must be registered and paid for in order for it to work. Check Pete Dowson's website shown above for further details.Edit: I also want to point out that HostSB (or SBHost if your using that instead) will no longer be required once you start using WideFS. All of the SB functions will be carried out on the keyboard and monitor of the 2nd PC. You can also run SBRelay on the second computer. You will:Start FS on your main computerStart wideclient.exe on the 2nd computerStart SBRelay on the 2nd computerJoin the multiplayer session from FSStart SB on the second computerJoin the multiplayer session from SBConnect to the networkSounds like alot of steps but it really goes fast, under a minute once FS starts up, and you are ready to file your flight plan.

Guest David Lee 2

Mike,Thank you so much for the thorough explanation! The process sure has changed over the years. I do use WideFS with my Project Magenta stuff so I guess the hard part is mostly done. I'm glad I asked because I didn't realize I wouldn't need HostSB. Anything I don't need running on the FS machine is a good thing! Hoping to see everyone in the Bay area flyin tomorrow!David

Guest David Lee 2

Mike,I followed your directions and everything worked great - to a point. SBRelay starts up fine and sees the MP session from FS9. I then start SB 2.3Beta (most recent I could find). It sees the SBRelay session on TCP/IP (I think that is how it works). When I try to join it though SB never starts up - no menu or anything. On the SBRelay screen I see:Added player 'N342LB' to FS2002 sessionAdded player 'N342LB' to FS2004 sessionRemoved player 'N342LB' from FS2002 sessionRemoved player 'N342LB' from FS2004 sessionERROR 0x80070057 sending QUERY_PLAYER_PLANE to to 2002 sessionand that seems to be the end of it. Any ideas? ThanksDavid

Guest MB327

David,It looks like you have something set wrong. Here is what my SBRelay sequence looks like:040814 09:51:06 Starting servers...040814 09:51:09 FS2002 server started040814 09:51:15 FS2004 server started040814 09:51:15 Servers ready.040814 09:51:15 You can now connect SquawkBox 2 and FS2004 to this server.040814 09:52:40 Added player 'FS9ServingPC' to FS2004 session.040814 09:54:02 Added player 'Squawkbox' to FS2002 session.040814 09:54:08 Added fake player 'Squawkbox' to FS2004 session.Make sure you are actually JOINING the SBRelay Multiplayer session FROM Flight Sim. Your last post leaves me wondering if that is in fact what you are doing. Then take a look at the following files. Note, square brackets will not show up in this forum. The () are used here in their place.In the WindowsSquawkbox.ini file on 2nd PCThe WIDEFSVER=3 entry is very important(SB)WIDEFSVER=3PLANENAME=~B767ENGINETYPE=1IGNORE WEATHER=1RWACTIVE=1CALLSIGN=AAL327In the WideClient.ini file on 2nd PCThe UseTCPIP=Yes and ServerName=YOUR PRIMARY Computer

Guest David Lee 2

Hi Mike,Thanks for the response. I had both WideFS ini files set to TCPIP. I checked the SB ini file and added the line WIDEFSVER=3 as you suggested. Actually the only other stuff in that file was related to the EFIS window. I restarted everything but ended up in the same place. On a whim, I did go back and try SB 2.2.2beta because I vaguely recall someone saying not to use 2.3 on a 2nd computer. v2.2.2 gets me one step further - I see the SB splash screen (brief warning about no voice engine) and when I click on "Join the action" I see Squawkbox join the list of "players" on the SBRelay list (Two listed - N342LB (from FS MP session) and "Squawkbox". But then there I sit with no gray window to click and join a session. Very weird! I used to use VATSIM a lot and even had SB on a 2nd computer so I'm not a complete newbie - but I feel like one! Thanks for any helpDavid

Guest David Lee 2

Mike,OK, I think I got it working. You had said SBHost would not be necessary with WideFS but it appears it is necessary on the 2nd computer (correct?). So the only change I had to make in your protocol was to start SBHost on the client computer before starting SB and from then on everything looked like I remember. Now I just have to move stuff around to make it a bit more convenient (mouse and keyboard) and install Roger Wilco and I'm back in bizness! Thanks for your help! This has been on my weekend 'to do' list all summer and just couldn't bring myself to go through it again.David

Guest MB327

I use SB 2.3 build 4 and I don't use SBHost at all. I've been using this configuration for years without a problem, and now with FS9. Hmmmm, very curious that you are having to run SBHost. You may be dealing with one of the hard to crack issues with getting SBRelay to function properly.