Sign in to follow this  

A Idea for Avsim Moderators

There are only two ways to do something and the French are Famouse for doing thing the third way so........Why do not Avsim moderators issue the much loved little stars to the people on the forum who are helpfull ,polite and such things to the posters instead of leaving this to people in the forum who may use it in a not appropriate way.This would ensure that people on the forum will be rewarded when behave Nice and made aware when not behave nice and also it will let us the reader be aware who we are reading when we are in the forum :)It is just a idea so please do not shoot me :)Anniette xxxxxxxxx

Guest KenG

I can see it now. The poor mods getting emailed constantly by people saying, "Look at me, I made a nice, helpful post. Why didn't I get a star?" I think it would just put more burdon on already over-burdoned people. The ratings really didn't mean anything. I believe that if you make substantive posts, people will catch on and put more weight behind what you say. Just my opinion.

Guest gasebah

God forbid. I can see the endless discussions and flaming posts. "I contributed more than this weirdo." "But my post was read by a lot more people." Guess we have to live without those little stars.Alex

Hi Anniette,Having been a moderator here, I can say that I wouldn't want the responsibility of assigning stars to anyone. On one hand you'll make someone happy and on the other hand, someone else will complain that they didn't get "graded" fairly. Damned if you do, damned if you don't :-) Personaly, I think the rating system is "over-rated" and if I'm being judged based on how many stars I have versus the amount of time I've spent helping people, I'd prefer to be recognized for the latter.The "undesirables" amongst us stand out like a sore thumb anyway so why add insult to injury. :-lol.Take careMike

"The ratings really didn't mean anything. I believe that if you make substantive posts, people will catch on and put more weight behind"Yes I agree in some way with you on that but the fact is when i first come here I was very carefull about what i say so i do not get a bad mark ,now I know how to behave in a forum but at the time it sort of trained me in Forum behaviour :) maby it will not do this for new posters in the same way ?I do not care really apart from everybody looks Naked at the moment and it may take getting used to lol

Guest RobA

Exactly, Mike. I think this group can pretty much handle it's own affairs without a Moderator.....ooops, did I say that? he he I put no weight to the stars I see by people's names at all. I already know who is helpful and at least those that are polite. :-) Y'all are doing a fine job running Avsim and this community seems to have grown and matured IMHO.Best, Rob[table border=2 bgcolor=#eeeeee][tr][td]http://avsim.com/flightdeck/images/Radar_small.gif[/td][td]Beta tester for Radar Contact] the premier ATC adventure add-on for FS

Guest Aidi

I think those of us who spend a fair amount of our time here in the Avsim forums (some I am convinced actually live here :-)) very quickly build a mental "rating" system in the mind. You know who has knowledge in the various areas, and learn the idiosyncrasies that come with the personalities who reside here. Many people have very strong reputations here in the forums, and anyone new joining in will very quickly pick up on these and come to respect these people. Where as the star rating system had its benefits, it has more recently showed its drawbacks which has had a roll on effect for all the conferences. http://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg

time here in the Avsim forums (some I am convinced actually live here ) *looks left...right and behind..then looks at his number of posts*You looking at me? :-hah I might as well own AVSIM because I am probably here more then Tom...but then again..Tom has a life! :-lolThe stars were nice to have but we can live without them. Reputation is the name of the fame here. Most of us know who the good persons are and who the trouble makers are. As time passes you form your own 'respected' and 'disliked' list in your head.And the idea of moderators giving stars.....it reminds me of 1st grade when the teacher put a golden star sticker on my homework because it was neat and complete...I don't want to feel like I am in Grade 1 again. Take careMike

Guest GZR_Frenchy

S! It is expected of me to be French. Then so be it. I hardly ever post. But, when I do it most important not to take it very serious. No? The third view?? I wish no comment. But, then -------Frenchy -- out.

Thanks Mike, I think you summed it up very well.Several of us on the staff thought in the beginning to just not use the rating system, but we said, "we'll give it a chance". However, as usual, some irresponsible users proved us right that it would end up getting used improperly. And to be quite honest, it had become obvious some were actually putting a lot of importance behind what people wrote in their ratings.As for us giving people stars, no offense Anniette, but you can bet that several users would cry out that we are playing favorites and that would be the next conspiracy theory to get airplay. :-)

Guest Toni Rauch

What's the point of the Star System anyway? The amount of stars you may have has nothing to do with the contents of your posts. One guy was 'awarded' a star on the basis of "......anyone who also hates <*^&%$> is a friend of mine.." What nonsense!!!If you have something you think is useful to add to a thread, post it!If it's defamatory or clearly breaks the rules, it'll be deleted before any serious harm is done by the ever-watchful Moderators, stars or no stars. As for Moderators giving posters awards, it's a dumb idea (like being back at school) - anyway they're too busy reading all the postings and replying to people's e-mails (or at least, some are...)Let's get back to flying - it's much more fun.And if you're still hung up on stars, fly at night!!!;) Toni.

Guest Jeff S KDTW

I used to get good behave gold and silver stars at the age of 3 - back to my nursery days. :-lol Ray