Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

ILS/PRM?

Guest Lobaeux4

I've started developing a training program for our VA that certifies our pilots in ILS/PRM approaches. Anyone know if VATSIM will be supporting these in the future? I realise the fact that there may not be enough controllers, or aircraft to warrant a PRM, or the hardware either, but any thoughts as to including these real-world procedures into VATSIM?Right now, MSP and PHL are the only PRM airports, but CLE, SFO, ATL, JFK, and STL are on the horizon, and these, especially ATL, JFK, PHL, and SFO seem to be pretty busy on VATSIM.Thanks,

Guest dweese

Hey Joe, Precision Runway Monitor (PRM)? Sorry had to look that one up.http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/prmtraining/As for Vatsim supporting it, thats a good question. Your right most times the traffic would not be there to support it.The problem I could see and it happens at Toronto and I've seen it at CLE, the rwys don't match FS2002 and still some problems with them in FS2004, so pilots tune the wrong ILS freq sometimes then it gets really messy :)

Guest Lobaeux4

Sorry it took me so long to respond!Yep, Precision Runway Monitor.I realise VATSIM may not be able to truly support this feature, especially in the most realistic way possible. I guess what I'm looking for is the ability to run the procedures for ILS PRM, including getting cleared for ILS PRM approaches, notifications, setting radios, etc. while in VATSIM.Granted, this may be a question for VATUSA or the individual centers with those ILS PRM approaches.Thanks,

Guest Lobaeux4

No one from VATSIM or VATUSA care to respond?

Guest Mikey

I'm not from either, but I'll respond.. once SB3 comes out, theoretically you'll have the ability to tune both radios at once, and be on the tower frequency & the monitor frequency, but this would require having the monitor controllers online (2 of them) as well as the tower/app. controllers.. isn't exactly plausable most cases.Mike

True that it wouldn't be plausable in most cases, but for a big flyin to say, SFO it could be interesting to overload the SFO airport with a flyin lol, then you could bring it out for 'special occasions' like that.

Guest Lobaeux4

Mike, you're right, it probably wouldn't be plausible, in fact if there were two controllers on (unless they were training tower personnel), I'd probably rather have them as center and approach, than two on tower. BUT, since there's always compromises to reality, we could have a tower controller give clearance to the ILS/PRM approach, and then the virtual pilot would virtually tune his second radio to the monitor frequency. If he doesn't have a second radio, obviously he wouldn't be able to accept an ILS/PRM approach.