Sign in to follow this  

MORE ON CPU OPERATING TEMPERATURES

Hi to all. I posted a few days ago asking questions about CPU operating temperatures particularly when using FS2002.Since then I have found some further information that may be of interest to many here.I run a AMD 2000+ xp. The temperatures it reaches with FS2002 running is up to 75c / 167f. Now most folk here advised that this is way to high and I thought so to. It may still be the case. However I found a site which gives the maximum temps for many popular CPUs. In my instance, 90c.I am aware there my be many variables to take into account but I feel a lot better about my unit now.Anyway thanks to all who responded to my earlier post and go check this out for yourselves.Ausie.www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm

It depends also on the outside (outside of your system case) temperature.I wouldnt be freightened (correct word?) on those temps.. if it runs to high you notice it very quick.Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdMy help may not me much usefull, or usefull much..eh?http://people.zeelandnet.nl/johd/index2/Ar...s/Leg1/klm5.jpgTrue Blue! K L M!

Guest SoarPics

Hi Ausie,I agree with Johan. I read the previous thread and also agree with what most folks wrote then, too. 75C is simply too high. Your box needs some cooling attention.Athlon TBird 1.4Ghz @ 1.5 Ghz, CoolerMaster Heat PipeASUS A7M266512 MB Crucial DDR PC2100Gainward GF3 Ti200 @ 240/500TB Santa Cruz soundMaxtor 40 Gig 7200 RPM ATA 133CD-RW, CD-ROM, 100 MB Zip DriveCoolermaster ATC Case, 73CFM In/ 68CFM OutEnermax 430 W PSU43C CPU @ 78F Ambient w/ no load.Regards,

Guest gasebah

The max temp posted here is the temp when your CPU finally dies. The PC will become very unstable much sooner, crashes, lockups...Alex

Guest jase439

AMD CPU's are notorious for overheating. You need a cooling solution - like yesterday. Check out www.sidewindercomputers.com for some good cooling options.You should be targetting ~50-60C under load on an AMD and ~45-55 on an Intel box. Your mileage may vary, but these are some good guidelines. Frankly, I get nervous anytime my CPU temperature rises about 50C. Even if your CPU can handle it - that kind of heat is bad for just about every other electrical component in your system (it will significantly raise the ambient temperature inside your case and affect wear on all system components over time).Good luck (make sure you score yourself some Arctic Silver thermal compound if you invest in a proper cooling unit).J

Guest jase439

Actually, let me rephrase: Arctic Silver alone is worthwhile regardless of what heatsink/fan combo you choose. It can, by itself, knock 5 degrees off your core temps.

I have a 1.6ghz p4 which runs at 92-95 f under load. But then I have 3 cooling fans, one on the CPU and two on the case. The case fans are important as it doesn't do much good to put a fan on the CPU unless you suck that hot air out of the case.Mike Stone

Guest Joshieca

HA! Those temps posted on AMD's website are a joke. They should be sued for giving out false info. :)I guarantee that if your CPU gets to above 80c, turn off your computer, remove your heatsink fan from your CPU, and take a look at the nice "grill marks" on your cpu! Would you like that AMD CPU well done today sir? :-lol[br][br][div align=center][br][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Click Here For Weather Image of the Day!

Well, that set the cat amongst the pigeons.Now I'm very frightend. All this additional information is good ammunition for me to print up and take to the guy who built the computer. Thanks again to all.Ausie.