Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Good Joysticks for FS2002

My Cyborg 3D joystick has ceased to work properly. Therefore I intendto buy a new joystick. Can anyone propose something better? What is bestfor use with FS2002?I think I have read here that theese force feedback joysticks is not goodto use with FS. I this correct and if so why?Could a gamepad be useful as a controller for FS?

Hi JFRI:I recently purchased a "Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D" with a twist handle. a hat switch, seven buttons, and a throttle for only $39.96 at Walmart. Great joystick in my opinion, since I can now control my rudder without pedals by using the twist handle.

>Hi JFRI: >>I recently purchased a "Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D" >with a twist handle. a hat switch, seven buttons, and a >throttle for only $39.96 at Walmart. Great joystick in my >opinion, since I can now control my rudder without pedals by >using the twist handle. I discussed this matter with rudders a real pilot and he told methat if you wan't to simulate rudders you should use rudder pedals.If you don't have them it's best to turn on autorudder in the simulation.

>I discussed this matter with rudders a real pilot and he >told me >that if you wan't to simulate rudders you should use rudder >pedals. >If you don't have them it's best to turn on autorudder in >the simulation. That's how I feel about it. You can use twist grips if you want, but they seem more sensitive with no "feel" that you get from rudder pedals. As for joysticks, I now use the Saitek X-45. It has a solid feel and many switches/buttons, as well as a seperate throttle with more switches, buttons, and dials. They run about $79.00. My prior stick was also a 3D Cyborg.L.Adamson

>get from rudder pedals. As for joysticks, I now use the >Saitek X-45. It has a solid feel and many switches/buttons, >as well as a seperate throttle with more switches, buttons, >and dials. They run about $79.00. My prior stick was also a >3D Cyborg. I have been considering Saitek X-45. Do you find this a good choicefor FS2002?A problem is that I also play other games and a good flightsim stickis usually not useful for anything else. (I broke my Cyborg when playingmore actionrelated games)I think the best is to have twi controllers. But will that work?

Still. Some rudder control seems better than just autocoord. It allows to get a least a sense of the yaw, not to mention the wind factor... I have a Thrustmaster FoxPro 2, the software of which allows for tweaking the response curve. When de-linearized, the z-axis is a little more realistic.

I like the X-45 for it's reasonably stiff spring, and multiple hat switches that work well for both panning and trim. Other buttons are for gear, flaps, brakes, ATC page, prop & mixture control. There is a rocker switch on the seperate throttle control for rudder, but I use rudder pedals. What are "twi" controllers?L.Adamson

Guest Toni Rauch

I think by 'twi' you might have meant 'two'.If so, particularly if your setup is USB, why not fly FS2002 using an excellent yoke like CH Flightsim Yoke (either model), and get a more basic/inexpensive joystick for the more action-related games....unless you fly a lot of helicopters or military aircraft in FS2002, then a good joystick would be more authentic.Toni.

That depends on the number of bucks You want to spend.I also use a Logi Wingman Digital 3D (NON-ForceFeedback) and am completely satisfied with it. It serves me well since more than 2 years. You can read it's features in another reply, but I just have to say, I not only play FlightSim, but also other games, in which I hardly have use for pedals, though I admit that they're more realistic for FS.If You have dough to spend, go ahead and get Yourself a Saitek or Thrustmaster Stick-Pedal or HOTAS-Pedal combination. If You are low on funds, I'd also recommend a Logitech 4-axis (3+thrust) Joystick.Have Fun ToMey

>If so, particularly if your setup is USB, why not fly FS2002 >using an excellent yoke like CH Flightsim Yoke (either >model), and get a more basic/inexpensive joystick for the >more action-related games. >I feel reluctant to the CH Flightsim Yoke for several reasons1) In another thread many has expressed their disappointment over it.2) It's expensive3) I have no possibility to test it>...unless you fly a lot of helicopters or military aircraft >in FS2002, then a good joystick would be more authentic. >In FS2002 it's civil aircrafts but there are other militaryflightsims

I still use my Cyborg 3D USB and I think (per my research) it is the best suited joystick for non-military simulation. Has very precise throttle and what to me is most important - can be "flown" from the left seat. I simply can't consider holding the stick in my right hand and operate the throttle with my left - perhaps appropriate for fighter aircraft but f!&? for a civilian craft.Michael J.

>3) I have no possibility to test it I will attend the Avsim/Tahoe conference and CH will be there. I do hope they will have a full set-up there so people could try it out. I am looking forward to it.Michael J.

> I simply can't consider >holding the stick in my right hand and operate the throttle >with my left - perhaps appropriate for fighter aircraft but >f!&? for a civilian craft. I have a reverse problem. I much prefer real airplane joysticks in my right hand, with left on throttle. With my RV it's going to be joystick in left hand, and Cessna type vernier throttle/prop/mixture on the right. That will take getting use to. I just have to pretend that the stick is a yoke and forget the feel of a fighter! Even considered an optional left hand throttle.L.Adamson