Sign in to follow this  

STILL MORE ON CPU OPERATING TEMPERATURES

Further to my thread on CPU temps I checked on AMD own site re max operating specs.They say for my unit 2000+XP the max OPERATING temp at the die is 90c.To me that says that it will run ok at 90c. Yes??, No???As I stated before I have a temp of 73c to 75c in FS, measured using Asus Probe utility. I might add that the temp indicated in the BIOS is the same as the Probe readings.I suppose I should just upgrade my cooling anyway but why fix it if it ain't broke.Ausie

Guest Scott Campbell

Good day to you. I don't suppose you'd consider moving this to the Hangar Chat forum would you? ;-)Just a thought.

75 is awefully hot. What kind of cooling are you using? Did you use thermal paste? What bios version are you using? Even in FS, my 2000+, never gets to 50c.MattAsus A7V333Athlon XP 2000+512MB Samsung PC2700Visiontek (now defunct) Geforce 3

Thanks Scott. Almost finished here.TO Matt. The unit was built for me by guys who should know what they are doing.I'm not sure of the answers to you questions. I'd say the cooling is whatever AMD recommends. The BIOS would be what came with the drivers that came with the MOB in Feb this year. Sorry I can't be more presice.Anyway everyone agrees with you that my temps are way to high.Ausie

Would you happen to have any idea of what mobo it is? If it is an A7V333, the older versions of the bios will display temps about 10 degrees higher than the current one. The newest version is 1011, you might think of flashing to the newest version. Also, try taking the side of the case off to get some more airflow, that should help some.Matt

Obviously your cooling is broke because it's not doing it's job correctly. 75c is not by any means a safe operating temp for your CPU, it will damage from the heat.Go to http://www.cpuid.com/ and download CPU-Z, install it and double click it, go to chipset, it should provide you with the chipset make, make of the board and the model.Do that and let us know what type of motherboard it is, and we can try and assit you from there :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Thank you, I d/l CPU-Z The mother board is a ASUS A7V266-E, Via KT266 chip set. ACPI BIOS Rev 1004B.I've seen comments that this MOB can "run hot", whatever that means.Thanks all for your help and advice.

Ah yes, the good ole A7V266E, I used to have one of those. The temps reported are really around 10c more than they are in reality. Even so, 65c is still a tad warm.For MBM use these settingsPrimary Sensor: AS99127FCase Sensor: Asus1CPU Sensor: Asus2

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Is that a joke?60C should be your MAX temperature under full load!! Your heatsink/fan must be placed wrong, an XP 2000+ does NOT run that hot. Mine runs 41C idle, and maximum 58C under full load.Get a new heatsink/fan and use thermal compound, otherwise you'll fry your processor after a period of time.