Sign in to follow this  

Trouble on the horizon...

"So what is to be done about it is up to everyone in the FS community. I already now what I'm going to do."I know what I'm going to do too. I'm going to quit reading this thread, and go back to taking care of my wife, daughter, and other responsibilities. I think some are getting way too much stress over this, and in the grand scheme of things, what is really important? Unless FS A/C design is one's livelihood, I just see too much other **** going on in the world to start crying "it's the end of freeware". God forbid we waste time on more important things....

Welcome all to the "if you can get away with it" society. Sadly, it's a bit of a by product of our "winner take all" mentality. A quick google search will reveal many polls showing that an alarming number of college students don't think that cheating on exams or plagarizing (sorry if I blew the spelling)other people's work is a big deal. All that matters is punching the old "A" on the ticket and moving onward. Personally, I'd turf them out of college if it were up to me, but it happens all to rarely. These are peoople that have been incubated in a culture that basically says that end does really does justify the means. And the manifestations are everywhere for all to see. The dot com bubble - "I got mine.com" would be a good tagline. A few got rich, everyone else got fleeced with the full knowledge of the few raking in the bucks. Enron. Worldcom. The tip of the iceberg, I fear. Sadly, our little hobby is not imune. However, I am heartened when the community rises in defense of a designer being wronged, or an evil website owner trying to profit from the works of others without written permission. That is the only true protection that we have from these types of people. Identification and public "outing" of the culprits, and sincere requests that folks don't give them satisfaction by downloading their files, or worse, paying for them.

Dee, Just like Mike T said, everybody has to be a CEO, VIP, or part of some group in this hobby. I can remember the days when we could just get along enjoy freeware and fly. Nowdays everybody is just so ANAL about every little thing. They have to be a ceo or part of something. This is were I came up with the term freeware god. I never had a banner nor do I need a title to enjoy MSFS. I know that I'll probably be slammed for this link in your comment of " being bunk " and I know that a lot of people will follow the ones who are in a group or are a ceo.The bottom line is I really enjoy your work along with alot of others. I don't have the time to sit and design these things. I do like the freedom of changing a paint job or something else to suit my enjoyment of this hobby. It isn't for recognition or notoriety. It's for myself. You have your opinion and I don't call it "bunk" I used to participate quite a bit in this community but there are too many people who need things sugar coated or their ego's stroked or else they threaten to take their toys and go home. I never once slammed a design or a paintjob, or anything freeware but I have slammed ego's and "freeware God's" that think the hobby will end without them.I did not direct the term "Freeware God" towards you anyhow.Jeff

Guys, very well said!!!!!I to have a wife and child to be with and could pretty much care less about a horse thats been beaten too many times. I just like aircraft and MSFS. I wished this hobby could go back to simpler times.Jeff

Guest cwright

>this could bring a end to freeware as we all know it. But why? There's nothing to stop someone from taking a freeware plane and passing it off as his own right now. The only difference is that this program would allow him to modify the plane - but it would still be easy to prove who was the original author. Best regards, Chris