Sign in to follow this  

Overclocking the CPU for better FS2002 Performance

Is it safe to overclock the CPU in order to improve FS2002 performance? If so how do you do it and how much is advisable. I currently have a AMD 900MHz processor with 512Mb RAM and a nVidia 32Mb TNT M64.rgdsRoss

I don't have first hand experience with the old Athlons, but you should be able to overclock simply by raising the Front Side Bus. Depending on how much you o/c, you may or may not see a difference in FS. Always make sure your cooling is enough to handle the extra heat. I'm not sure if the old Athlons are locked, but you may be able to lower the multiplier, while at the same time raising the FSB, which will keep the CPU at the same speed, but will be faster because of the FSB increase. Try doing some searches at http://www.amdmb.com. MattA7V333, Athlon XP 2000+141MHz FSB (for now :()512MB Samsung PC2700Visiontek Geforce 3

Guest flightpro08

It depends. If you have a newer Motherbaord, you can probably determine and change your CPU's voltages, clock speeds, and FSB. Though, not to sound mean, as this is no way a flame, but if you don't know what you're doing, DON'T overclock anything, as all you'll do is cause a lot of heartbreak.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 10346

Even IF you figured how to OC your CPU, your TNT video card would be a huge bottleneck and your efforts and risks that you take to rev up your CPU would be relatively useless.Even if you were to buy a P4 2.4Ghz and plopped your current video card in it, your performance would STILL be relatively lackluster....You would better be served by upgrading your Graphics card to something with 64MB or better depending on your pocketbook.Mike T.

It's dangerous to do so, your hardware of Video Card, Riva TNT2 isn't strong for overclocking.Remember : when you overclocking, every hardware is overclocked too.

Thanks for all of the replies .... I think I will turn my attention to buying a better video card.rgdsRoss