Sign in to follow this  
oal331

Links request for Monitor & Rotary Encoders

Hi,I'm looking to find some links to order some parts for my Boeing project.It is very difficult to find them in Greece, so iIf you have any idea about, it will be a great help.a) 5' Monitor RGB (CRT 640X480 or TFT 640X480) The known small TFT monitors with 960X234 resolution they are not so good with small letters in CDU monitor. Small letters & numbers eg. page1/2 are not visible in 960X234 dots:( Rotary encoders with pushbuton and external rotary with 2 positions. E.g in Altitude the encoder have to turn with no end left or right, to push, and also there is another extrnal small encoder in the same oposition which turn 100 or 1000 rating in ALT change,Also in EFIS the rotary encoder turns right or left to ghange the values and the external switch betwenn In and HpThanks for any helpOAL331Athens-Greece

Guest MikePowell

CSI Cockpit Simulations http://em.ca/~cockpits/main.htm sells a monochrome 5 inch CRT display. Perhaps they could help you find an RGB model. Also look on my links page. VGA LCD displays may be available through some of the listed electronics suppliers.Rotary encoders seem to always be a challenge to find. Cole Instrument Corporation makes the aerospace models and only charges a king's ransom for each one. There are a number of suppliers for the much less expensive, down to earth variety (Mouser Electronics, Digikey, etc.) but these are single units, not dual concentric shaft items with push buttons. The links page on my site has many electronic suppliers listed. Some of them supply encoders. Possibly you can fabricate a mechanical system to combine two simple encoders. There was an article in Electronics World a few months ago ("Ganging Pots Together", March 2002) describing a similar approach for combining potentiometers. Not quite what you're looking for, but perhaps it would suggest some workable approach to you.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders

For rotary (both with and w/o push button):www.farnell.comwww.mouser.comwww.digikey.com

For the rotary driver chip talk to Dave at http://www.hagstromelectronics.com/ The have a usb keyboard encoder card called KEUSB36 and can provide for very cheap the hardware and the schematic of a card able to drive up to 8 mechanical rotary encoders. You can use 2 rotary driver cards with each KEUSB36 encoder wich make you 16 rotary switches (32 inputs).The rotaries itself are from Digi-Key - http://www.digikey.com/(P10859-ND ENCODER 12MM ROTARY VERT 17.5MM ) Cheap too.Compared to the commercial products using Epic, that solution is about 10 times cheaper. These guys are very very helpfull. RegardsRoger

Thanks for your answers, i'm looking in those sites to find them. The only problem is that is very difficult to fine rotary encoders with push buttom!OAL331Athens-Greece

>The only problem is that is very difficult to fine rotary >encoders with push buttom! Dual concentric encoders with pushbutton are made by Grayhill. Product code is 62 C22-22-02-020C. Take a look at this site http://www.data-modul.de/en/index.html The company is located in Germany, maybe they ship to Greece.Kind regardsGerhard

Gerhard thanks for your info, I visited the site and found very nice products there :-))Do you know about the price of this encoders because i didn't found anywhere the pricelist.ThanksOAL331Athens-Greece

I'm sorry, but I don't no anything about their prices. I'm going to ask them when I start building my home cockpit next year.RegardsGerhard

I had sent an email asking for prices, but i have no answer yet from them. If and when i will send you also any info i will haveThanks a lot!OAL331Athens-Greece

If you don't mind I'm very interested in the prices as well as I am in progress of starting up building my own B737NG simpit any year now ;-)Regards