Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark McG

CH Yoke Mounting

Guest Mark McG

Hi,I have seen on a number of websites, the CH YOKE mounted on a post, to simulate a real yoke.I am interested in doing this, and was wondering what sort of products to use.I was thinking in using Plastic pipe for the post, and wood for the base, I was also thinking in building a set of rudder pedals into the base.Would I need to add weight to the base to stop the yoke from toppling over when I used it.ThanksMark

Guest jsippy

Can you post URL's to those websites where you saw people "post mounting" the CH Yoke?I would love to have a look at that.---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest Mark McG

It's at the Deltaflight websitehttp://www.avsim.com/project757/index.htmlMichael & Dave have also done some other Mods to the CH Yoke.I am thinking along the following lines:Wooden Board shaped to fit base of CH yoke, including the clamps.Piece of round plastic piping, this comes in a variety of sizes and is usually pretty sturdy.Wooden Base.Cross Braces between the Pipe and base for stability.I would really like to know how others have gone about this.Mark

Hi Mark.I have mounted my CH yoke on a 2" galv pipe threaded on both ends with a flat metal base used for electrical panels.(example; The pipe will come down on to the electrcal box and is supported by this metal base.)Ask an electrician he could help you.The bases are screwed on to the pipe on both ends and then screwd down onto a piece of 3/4 plywood big enough to support the pipe or better yet big enough to create a floor for your pedals also.On the top of the pipe you now have a base screwed on to the threaded pipe and then mount a small piece of wood just big enough to hold your CH yoke.Mine works perfect and still give you plenty of room to reach both pedals comfortably .Regards Lineman55

Guest jsippy

Thanks---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest Mark McG

Lineman55,Thanks for the Info, that seems the sort of setup that I am looking for.Mark

Hi Mark: I have re-built my CH yoke (USB) on a post. However I removed everything from the plastic housing and mounted an aluminum chasis box to the top of a 2" aluminum post that I had hanging around. I relocated the "pitch" pot to the bottom of the post and it is turned by moving the yoke back and forth. The roll pot is driven by rolling the yoke left/right. The switches on the original box and the levers were all remoted to another box that will eventually be mounted in a center pedestal. I went to the automotive junkyard and got two gas shocks that hold up the hatch backs on cars and have them mounted in the pitch axis to center the yoke and also give some "feel" to the whole column. It took some playing around with the shocks angle to get the desired feel but it is WAY, WAY better than the feel the CH yoke had in stock configuration. If a second CH yoke (USB) can be plugged in at the same time as the first plus the pro-pedals (I haven't tried it yet) and FLight Sim and Windows are happy about it, then I will have 24 buttons plus two throttles, two prop and two mixtures to build into a quadrant. Also the two axis on the second yoke can be used for trim axis. I'm looking for someone around here to loan me their CH Yoke to try this scheme out, keeping my fingers crossed.Mike B.

Mike, Would there be a chance of some pictures? I had a similar idea, except that I wanted to mount it in a panel as a light aircraft cockpit but I took my CH Yoke apart it looked too hard. It might help to see how some one else did it. As to two CH USB Yokes, I can see no reason why it would not work, one of the advantges of USB. Windows can handle up to 16 game controllers and FS can handle them also.Peter

No, I'm afraid I don't have any pictures as I don't have a digital camera. The only reason I am a bit nervous about the second USB yoke is they will have identical ID's as far as the OS is concerned, not sure if that is a problem or not, hopefully not. Mike B.