Sign in to follow this  

Opinion about

Lately I have been looking at my options for my flight deck.-EPIC Card- Flexible expandable and easier. *But very expensive*-Hagstorm key board card.- cheep, but limited to switches and buttons. (if you guys know how to do Rotary encoders, and 7 segmented displays with this I would be grateful)- Flightdeck Solutions- Everything that the epic has except for analog imputes (I can just use my game port =P) and buzzers.---------------------------------------------------------Flightdeck Solutions InterfaceIt Info~sorce www.flightdecksolutions.comHow many inputs?70 Total (22 Direct, 48 Matrix)How many outputs?64 7-Segment displays are supported)How many rotaries can I have?Each rotary decoder board will decode 8 encoders. The inputs on the controller board will allow you to have 70 inputs.One other question about the interface, would it be possible to plug in multiple rotary board? Right now I think I might need to use 9 rotary incoders for a 737. So could you plug a second rotary module into the brain and have it work, or are you limited to an output module, an input module, and the rotary module.If you need more than 8 Rotary Encoders you can add additional boards. The Rotary Decoder board is a separate board that takes the Rotary Encoders and provides a ground pulse for each detent.How much programming do I need to know?None. The software that will ship with it will do all the work for you.Do I need an EPIC Card?NoCan it talk across a network?In the initial release it will work with FSUIPC to talk to Project Magenta and/or Microsoft Flight Simulator.How far can I expand it?The controller will accept 70 inputs and be able to control 64 7-Segment displays or up to 512 LED's. We will be providing a mix and match chart in the near future.What is it going to cost?We are still trying to determine the price.Can I buy the software only?The software will not function without the hardware.Hardware?When do you expect to start shipping?We are aiming for early December.How are the interface boards connected to the "brains" board. I assume this will be simple cable (ribbon) or similar? They are connected via a 10 pin ribbon cableWhat speed does the IC on the "brains" board interface with the host system (by USB)? The unit communicates at about 1.5 mbsWill the Interface be able to display "alpha and numerics" using 7 segment displays? The ADIRS panel displays lat and long readouts. Would it be possible, with the Interface, to display your location such as : N 30 29 50 W 89 22 40??The initial release of the unit will only be able to drive 7-segment displays directly. That said it is possible for us to trick the unit into thinking it is driving a 7-segment display, when in actuality it is driving a 14-segment (or Alpha display). Once the unit ships, I will take a look at this and write up a white-paper on how we can do this.If for some reason I would need more inputs if I could continue using The Hagstrom Ke-72 keyboard encoder (not usb) I am now using, along with it ?Yes, you can use the KE-72 on the same system with our device.How will joystick channels be handled? Will you need a seperate board etc?Currently we are not focusing on joystick inputs as FS2002 is capabale of handling so many directly. We will relook at this once we have accomplished our immediate goals.Do all the interface modules end up connecting to a single USB connection ..... or does each one need it's own connection?There is a master controller that interfaces with the host computer via USB. All our display boards connect via a 10 pin ribbon cable and the inputs are connected via a connection panel with terminals.How are the LED's (digits-radios for instance) packaged. Will they mount in a holder and then it's up to the builder to wire them to the interface? Any wiring kits?We have prebuilt circuit boards that will hold a maximum of 5 7-segment displays. Each board has a connector connecting it back to the display driver. These boards simplify the display wiring process.-----------------------------------------------------------------If this is cheaper then the epic system I am going to get it what to you guys think?~Brian

Brian, Simply question: How much do you know about electronics? How much do you know about digital? how much do you know about programming? I asked you cuz I could save your budget before you decide to spend on expensive stuffs at mean time, you could just buy those components that has almost same function as EPIC. When I first bought EPIC, I have no knowledge into programming or understand how electroics work unitl I get there. I could have got oppournity to buy cheapest part that work same way as EPIC. I figured out I could have save 600 dollars since I bought $800 on everything related to EPIC. If you can answer those questions, I can advise you what kind of componenets, ic, or guide you to webpage if you are willing to go through hard experiments, otherwise if you want a easy life, you could prefer to spend on expensive stuffs.

Well I am a IT major in Software development. So the programming part is settled. Electronics, I have made a few devices. And I fly Electric RC aircraft. But I have never made a bread board from scratch like the FSBUS requires. But my dad has so I may get his help. And my budget is a maximum of 250 for all the main electronic boards. My languages known are (

Great, that's good to know! As for me, I don't really have knowledge in web language such as Java, Visual Basic, and C++. Hope one of these day I could learn how to use it. I hear, its not as complicated as wiring up the circuits. I am a Avionics Technican, working for Southwest flight simulation distributors in Dallas, Texas. what I do is analying or troubleshoot analog/digital related circuits on radios, gauges, and instrumental panel by converting the databit information to the system from digital to analog or analog to digital and also, I get to test and see if the system is inputting the correct data information in order to have the analog system to functional properly. This is where I have expert in understand how the whole system work. I could have that advantage of building one of my own created interface card where we all flightsimmers can use analog gauges on their panel from digiatlly to analog. My target goal is to learn how to use application program for my next project. I was hoping I could get few advices from someone who has that experience. Not because of my business planned, but for my hobby benefits. this interface circuit would be used for any communte aircraft such as Dash, Embracer, Saab. Right now I have B767 in progress of building, using EPIC card. But I didn't really like how EPIC works since it can develop some confilts between program. May I ask you, what kind of IC do you use for 64 digits inputs? I am currently testing Max7219 and it is in progress, hopefully I could develop some new kind of system that can work as real life situation such as alphanumberic digital for current general aviation.

Hi Brian,You can hookup Rotaries to the Hangstom, but you will need an interface card.You can get one from Blue Side up, also ask Hangstrom about that as well.For Segment displays, you can purchase from GoFlight, modules with quick USB hookups and segment displays. This requires hacking the board, so use caution. Robert Prather used that approach, check with him for details.I haven't used any of these, this is only what I have learned through research.Regards,Joe

Thanks Joe, your information really is making me enthusiastic about this project. A simmer on a college student budget has some problems getting by. =DI am exited happy that the hagstorm can do much more than I thought it could do with a little modification. =D Hopefully this should be cheaper than the Epic System. But before I decide I am going to wait to se what Flight deck Solutions system will cost. I am all ready saving for their 767 panels. So all the money I can spare will help me out a lot. Ohh, BTW after I get done with exams (Wednesday afternoon) =D I am going to start to develop my website for my project. I would also like to have all of you sites on my link page. Over the last 2 months of research I have found a lot of sites. So I plan to have a well developed link page. I will also have all of the cad drawings of my cockpit pieces I am building. Hopefully this will help people out a lot. I plan to do all of my plans for free, No charge. I want to help out the community as much as they helped me. =D~Brian

Well this week I ordered the PIC767 and the CS727. Any way has any one herd an update on when they are going to relies

Guest RichardL

Call or email Doyle at GoFlight. He sells a Remote Mount Kit for the GF-166 and P8. The 166 RMK has a 12" ribbon cable that connects from the display board to the main board.On the P8, the LEDs and switches are not installed so you can wire with switches of your choise.I have one of each to control Comm 1 and 2, NAV, and ADF on an Airbus radio panel.Richard