Sign in to follow this  

TOO MANY CHOICES!!

Here's the deal. Want to build a GA cockpit at home, the problem is that there's too many choices on how to interface all the controls for the cockpit. I have no idea what to go for, an old keyboard interface (keyboard bashing), all go-flight hardware, Hagstrom encoder? Plus the engine control quadrants: elite, PFC, or this kit:http://www.airplanestuff.com/products.html. If I go for all GO-FLIGHT there is no custom made controls, switches, etc. but all modules work with each other (no conflicts of hardware). On the other hand if I start from scratch, the cockpit will be fully customized but I'll have to get all switches, wire, wood, plastic, etc. Same for the control quadrants. What do you think will be better & most important, cost effective? All views on this problem welcomed.

Guest MikePowell

Jorge,If cost effectiveness is really the most important factor, go for the build it from scratch approach. Use the hacked keyboard approach to get your switch inputs. Build your own flight controls and engine controls. You can interface these through a game port to USB converter. There was a thread on this forum a few days ago about tying seven segment displays to a parallel port for use as radio stack, etc. Alternatively take a look at www.fsbus.de where a PIC based I/O system is coming together. Plans are offered freely.Do a search on "Roland vanRoy" for a DIY Cockpit paper here on AVSIM. Roland has put a lot of effort into building from scratch and his paper is a good source to draw upon.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders

Guest PeterK

PeterK There are tons of choices but time,cost & Family come into play...This is going to be a learning experience and to look at someguys Air Bus project makes you feel like a Lacky,,I look in great AAWWW at these sims but I know I dont have thepassion to invest that much time and effort..That greatcockpit took Hours money and Muscle to build.. Start off with what you can do...Get the Marriage or Parentsissue out of the way first,,warn them of what your doing...DO you have the room to do this??? If you have the rules layed down and the mood to swing this thinginto action you going to need WOOD!,TOOLS and Sheet Rock Screws!You can sit for weeks CADing some thing out But it comes downto destroying a 4x8 sheet of plywood with a skill saw in 2 minutes... Way before the projection screens and programable cards and fancy panels your going to have to plant your butt in a seat from a caror some home brew thing and figure out what your going to makefor an airplane...GA ,777 or f-16...Petehttp://home.attbi.com/~fs-cockpitsimulator

> Way before the projection screens and programable cards and >fancy >panels your going to have to plant your butt in a seat from >a car >or some home brew thing and figure out what your going to >make >for an airplane...GA ,777 or f-16... Yeah, exactly.Personally I love the idea of FSBus - it is fairly low budget, you can expand it as you go, and it is pretty easy to solder together provided you have a friend somewhere who can help you get started (help is good with the circuit board making etc)But yeah, the electronics is the last part - first it takes a good old mechanical construction made from wood, metal or whatever that gives you a good feeling of aeroplane controls - and you want those to last since there is no use spending a lot of hours on something that wears out in a week :-)Although personally I find the building itself very fun too, but do plan in a way that you can start "flying" also in the early stages - it is great motivation. So incremental, modular work is what I am doing.Tuomas

Guest PeterK

PeterKThe growing process of building moduals is the way to go...Many peopleget the feeling they have to build a scale model of a real aircraftThinking the real world simulator is the nose of a real jet orsomthing,,To the surprise of many most simulators are in box formor just an enclosed space and the software is not as advancedas fs2002 but more simplex in form... The simulator is for training figuring out where all the switches are and when a failure happens what to do..Proceedures!The big $$$ sims look like the real thing but its pretty hard to to spend thousands of dollar and say what is that! you expect a scale model for that amount... Iv made If i count 4 simulators But basically thats the first oneused it for 1 year then broke it up an redesigned the thing thengot tired of the many things i did and then broke that up too...I thought i wanted a GA simulator and focused on a cessna stylepit but now I have a fighter plane cockpit that can be a Apachehelicopter,p-51,f-86 or Extra 300 or glider in fs2002...Itsnot a 747-300 or a Airbus but i use so many sims from fightersto passenger planes it came more down to I like my Isuzu carseat and I like the suncom f15 flightsystem how can i usethem together...My big ##### copper pipe yoke system from my cessna cockpit got salvaged to make a box -table top unitfor when i get in the mood to play cessna172 or learjet...More basically on how i did it...Sombody else may just be dedicated to making a 777 simand only fly 777 all day and night...Its not me though..pete

Thanks to everybody for the input. So far this is what I got: 1. Wife's blessing for the project.2. Lots of different switches: on/off, rotary, micro-switches, etc.3. A console based on the GO-FLIGHT large console (it helps work on aircraft & know people at the metal shop).4. Designs of the panels (using publishing software readily available). Will send pictures on request or post them later on.5. Sim will be based on a single engine turboprop civilian model(Piper Meridian, PC-12,etc. Leaning towards the Meridian). Why single engine: Lack of space...6. Everything will be interfaced thru a Hagstrom encoder(when I get it).7. Thinking about getting this Go-Flight hardware (when I can afford them) 1 P8, 1 MCP, 2 GF-166 & 1 GF-LGT) What do you think??????? :-sae

Guest PeterK

PeterKSounds like you have the idea's already set...My GA cockpit workedreal great with the FS2002 Caravan Just as good as the Cessna...Ill admit it didnt feel right for heavy jet use but nietherdoes sitting at a desk in A office chair... I think the seat will become the major factor in the project becauseyour back will let you know in 1 hour that you made a good choiceor not...Pete

HELP I WANNA BUILD A HOME COCKPIT BASE ON THE ROBIN DR-200 WHICH CAN BE SEEN HERE http://takeoff.to/beetson I am taking my ppl and learning to fly in this aircraft and it seems sensible to have one to practice in at home.1.i cannot find the robin for mircosoft flight simulator 20022. WHERE DO I START?3. HELP!!!!!!!