Sign in to follow this  

First pictures of my generic Turbo-Prop cockpit

It's going slowly but surely. First picture with my son Gregory testing the commands.

Guest MikePowell

Roger,This is great!Just one question, though. I notice that you have your panel inside your house. My wife seems rather, shall we say, reluctant to fully embrace my project, and when it gets larger than just a few scattered instruments, I strongly suspect it will be relegated to the unheated garage :'(. What arrangements or inducements did you so successfully use?Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Hi Mike,I am almost in the same position, Mike, indeed. The place where the picture has been taken is not the dedicated place for my sim. We will move in the near future. In the while I have managed a right to put some pieces together here and not in our unheated cellar.I put the pieces together in order to give my son an impression of what I am doing.Kind regardsRoger

Guest PeterK

PeterKWhen I lived in an Apartment I could not gather a thought on a cockpitthe big help was moving a house with a full basement,,The cockpitlives in its own room far from the wifes eye's...The cockpit looks really good..What type of aircraft is the Panel from?Did you get it in a boneyard????Peterk

Hi Peter,The panel is a Dassault Falcon 50 business Jet. The yokes and the throttle quadrant/pedestal is coming from a Short 360.The panel comes from a maintenance company. The owner had upgraded to full Efis. I got it very cheap. The pedestal comes from England www.airsalvage.co.ukI got it cheap too compared to prices (crazy) I sometimes see on Ebay. The yokes are also from the UK same company. I can recommend them. The pedestal was not in good shape ( outdoors several weeks with rain and dust), but was not too complicated to restore and now I just finished the linkage fromp everything on 100 k pots.The panel will be a mixtup of real instruments, self made instruments and LCD screens.Now I am hunting for an overhead panel. I am anyway not willing to simulate a precise typ of aircraft. As a private pilot ( who flies rarely - too expensiv in Europe) I want to stay sharp on IFR flying. I made my IFR in Santa Monica 1988/89. But is not valid anymore. Kind regardsRoger

Guest Salbado

Mike, I had to wait until the toddler gave up the nursery before I built my Airbus 320 in the room. I told my wife that this was my second passion and that it would keep me away from the local FBO..I don't fly much anymore because of the expense and hassle of being in the triple Class B airspace...JFK-LGA-EWR.My wife thinks that she can squeeze a futon in there next to the pedestal but I don't think so. The whole sim takes up about 12 Feet by 10 Feet all in (Projector, Captains Chairs, and all panels), pics coming soon.The good news is that it leaves no room for guests (in-laws):-)Hope you find the space....

Guest MikePowell

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, my wife read your note, chuckled, and mummbled something like "...over .... dead body...". I'm not sure exactly whose body she was referring to, but I think I better take this quite slowly.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

>see on Ebay. The yokes are also from the UK same company. I >can recommend them.I'm trying to build my own "jetliner" style yoke (for a GA setup though, but making "cessna" style yoke and having a monitor behind the instrument panel for gauges doesnt mix too well..So I am interested on how you did the yoke mounting (if it is finished yet) - my yoke is pretty much satisfying from the bottom part but I am still pondering how to do the top part where the actual yoke handle is - how to put the aileron pot there, and how to make it center etc..?So any information and ideas would be welcome. Photos or whatever, anything would be useful. My yoke will feature a car suspension thingy behind the vertical pole to make it more stiff and to "slow" down the elevator movement. I think it gives the yoke a very nice "feel". But like I said the aileron stuff needs more thought..Best,Tuomas

You have to think throughly (hope to have written it right) before marrying ;)You have to estabilish what can be done, what not, and what noise you can accept from the to-be your wife.Best thing would be to find a loveable woman, who loves you, and who doesn't make of adjusting your life to suite her desires, her whole life objective.Now without jokeing, i have some friend, married with sons, who have to ask the permission to their wives to go out with their friends once in a while.Don't say the typical thursday evening soccer mach, this could be really bothering (i myself hate soccer ;)), but even a dinner with some chatting about our passion: airplanes :)Now this should be avoided, not by signing some act before marrying, but by laying a base for a decent relationship based on a mutual respect.In other words: if she says no to your sim, just lock her in the wardrobe together with your cat for a couple of days :D

No, No, No, You guys have it all wrong. The correct approach goes something like this:Wife: Why the H#@! did we buy a house with a basement when we never use it?Me: Well, we need storageWife: True, but every time I put stuff down there you accuse me of hoardingMe: Well one has to be selective darling, its not a landfill after all. How About if we use part for storage, and part for me?Wife: What will you do with your part?Me: Oh, I dont know, maybe an officeWife: OK, dealSeveral months laterWife: Wheres the office?Me: Its buried in the crap you shoved down there.Wife: Oh... (silence)RESULT: Wife never asks about "office" provided you dont ask about the "stuff in storage"Classical standoff. Works fine. I've got an area about 10x20 ft - she has more junk down there than you can imagine. Everyone is happy!!DavePS: Its an A320!!

Hi Tuomas,Attached a picture from my Yoke. It is a column style yoke. The aileron pot is located on the end of the axis. It is a 60

>Hi Tuomas, >>Attached a picture from my Yoke. It is a column style yoke. >The aileron pot is located on the end of the axis. It is a >60

Roger,Looks great! Let us know if we can be of any help.Michael

Hi Tuomas. On the attached pictures you can see what you probably call "car suspension". I do use these hydraulic pistons as well for the yoke column. (You can see behind the rudder my former yoke made with joystick pieces and were I also used hydraulic resistance)An other good way for the roll axis of the yoke is the use of gas springs. Much better, just more expensiv. In my former yoke ( see second pictures) you can see the mechanism. It gives the feeling of "air" resistance much more realistic than metallic springs.RegardsRoger

Hi RogerYour cockpit look so nice. I just browse the website you mentioned. It seems has the parts I am interested (747 classic). May I know how much is your about? I am looking for things like glareshield, pilot seat....those in bigger size. I have collected quite a lot of parts no matter for pedestal, overhead, the main panels. My cockpit will not be a sim cockpit. Too complex to make it work as sim. I may do a sim one for airbus later on (few years later).Jealous that you can put you panel in a cockpit configuation. Mine is just....putting like storage at this moment.By the way, except eBay. Any good sources to get cnice ockpit parts in low price. I contact several parts companies in US. Most of them asked for the price which the parts in airworthy condition. *******..regards,Alkit