Sign in to follow this  

Would this system suffice as a stop gap until Wideview?

I don't quite have the resources to go to a networked Wideview setup just yet, although it is a long term goal.In lieu of that, would an XP1900+ 512K ram system be able to handle and give decent results for a 4 monitor setup?Plans are:-A GF3Ti200 AGP running the sole 3D outside view.3 PCI cards running the instrument panel views.At the moment I have the AGP and 1 PCI card and am running 2 monitors. I plan to buy the other 2 in the not too distant future, but am wondering if the one machine can handle it.How much of a load on FS performance are the 3 auxiliary 2D windows running via their own graphics cards?Thanks in advance.

If you're using native FS panels, it'll probably be just fine. In fact, I wouldn't recommend using Wideview if you just want native FS panels on multiple screens. Having more than one PC for that is kind of overkill. If you're using third-party add-ons such as FMS, GPS or such, it depends how much processing power the software takes. You might need at least WideFS for that.I'm running two monitors (one for 3D and some panels, the other for panels, web browser, SquawkBox and Roger Wilco) on a 384 MB, Celeron 500 MHz with Matrox G400 Dual Head so I'm pretty sure your system can handle four as long as only one has the 3D view. I'm planning on testing out a third screen via an old PCI card I have.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums Moderator[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

>If you're using native FS panels, it'll probably be just >fine. In fact, I wouldn't recommend using Wideview if you >just want native FS panels on multiple screens. Having more >than one PC for that is kind of overkill. Good to hear. At SOME stage I'd like to go to the full disaster with wrap around displays for the outside visuals, but not just yet.>If you're using third-party add-ons such as FMS, GPS or >such, it depends how much processing power the software >takes. You might need at least WideFS for that. I was thinking of running the Garmin, but I could live without it.Thanks for the reply

>I was thinking of running the Garmin, but I could live >without it. Try the 30min demo version of the Garmin thingy and see if it works. Basically it comes to the point of having one 3D-view on one monitor and just 2D panels on the other(s) (you can toss in several PCI videocards too, though I just have one)The 2D panels dont really slow FS down, it is actually faster with full screen 3D view and the panels on another screen, since the panel does not need to be masked over the outside view. The Garmin will probably work just fine on the other monitor.All in all, for a small home cockpit there is not much reason to have several computers if you can live with just one 3D-view. The panels are fine on extra videocards and monitors.Tuomas