Sign in to follow this  
Guest HepburnUGA

Silly question about Pots...

Guest HepburnUGA

Hey all,I'm relatively new to the whole concept of electronics, and I'm currently in the process of assembling my first throttle quadrant well anything for that matter. I ran into a snag that could easily be solved by trial and error, but before I solder I thought I should ask. Does a greater resistance from the pot equate to a higher (positive) value in FSUIPC? Bascically will turning the pot to a position that offers greater resistance offer 'more power' from the throttle?I hope this makes sense, and thanks for any help!Jeff

>Does a greater resistance from the pot equate to a higher >(positive) value in FSUIPC? Bascically will turning the pot >to a position that offers greater resistance offer 'more >power' from the throttle? >>I hope this makes sense, and thanks for any help! Yeah, it makes sense :-)I dont remember which way you need to wire the pots, but it is not really that important since FS2002 has the reverse toggle for all joystick axes, so if it is the wrong way around by default you can just have it swapped in the configuration dialog.Another tip is to wire those through a "screw block" connector - connect one side of the block to the joystick cable and wire the pot wires to that - then it is easy to reverse the direction in the wiring if you want to be a perfectionist and avoid the reverse settings so it works the right direction by default.I hope *I* made myself clear, I have my doubts :^)Tuomas

Guest HepburnUGA

Perfectly clear and a great tip about the reverse axis. I am using a screw terminal connector for the connection from gameport to wires. Frankly, it just means I have to solder less because I'm REALLY bad :) In fact I soldered my first joints today, and while they do work, they are definately not pretty!Take careJeff

>Perfectly clear and a great tip about the reverse axis. >>I am using a screw terminal connector for the connection >from gameport to wires. Frankly, it just means I have to >solder less because I'm REALLY bad :) In fact I soldered my >first joints today, and while they do work, they are >definately not pretty! Prototypes are just like that :-) Who said mine look clean and nice? It's only later when I try to make stuff look nicer, I first want to see if the idea works, and then I'll try to build the final version.Did I mention I havent done many of the final ones yet? :-)Here's one of those that hopefully will be one of the first "real" things - a tabletop panel thingy much like the "realcockpit" console, but with a monitor behind the panels. It will get a plywood panel in front of the screen, with holes in the same spots as the monitor will have gauges in. Still has a long way to go, but this one will even get some paint etc.. I just hope it works out.TuomasPS. If you think of building something like that make sure you make enough holes on the "roof" to enable good ventilation for the monitor. Monitors heat up a lot.. a flatscreen would be ideal but the price is less than ideal.. :-o

>Another tip is to wire those through a "screw block" connector - >connect one side of the block to the joystick cable and wire the pot >wires to that - Whats that srewblock connector? I just soldered 10 pins to my gameportconnector (DB15 - male) for my mcp747 from aerosoft and it was very hard work. Because everything is very tiny it took a long time. Sometimes 2 pins became soldered together.So help about this connector would be appreciated.ThanksNorbert BoschEHAM the Netherlands

Guest HepburnUGA

Hey Norbert,I believe this is what Tuomas was talking about. The black cable at the bottom is the gameport wiring and those at the top go to the various axis -- as you can see mine is far from complete :)Jeff

>Hey Norbert, >>I believe this is what Tuomas was talking about. >>The black cable at the bottom is the gameport wiring and >those at the top go to the various axis -- as you can see >mine is far from complete :) Exactly that thing. It probably has some real, proper name in english too :-)But yeah, with that it is easy to move wires around and try different switches etc, just solder wires to pots once and you can easily experiment with them when doing prototypes and seeing if ideas work.Tuomas