Sign in to follow this  

Acknowledging ATC Commands

Hi All...as I've been building my cockpit I've been thinking what is the best way to interact with ATC. Currently with FS2K I have to press 1/2/3....etc to acknowledge their commands or pick next option. I use to use ProFlight 2000 and found this OK. Is there a better add-on/program to interact with ATC commands so I don't have to keep bringing ATC menu commands up on screen ?A penny for people's thoughts please as I work my way through this cockpit building hobby ?Thanks for the help...JB

>Hi All...as I've been building my cockpit I've been thinking >what is the best way to interact with ATC. Currently with >FS2K I have to press 1/2/3....etc to acknowledge their >commands or pick next option. I use to use ProFlight 2000 >and found this OK. Is there a better add-on/program to >interact with ATC commands so I don't have to keep bringing >ATC menu commands up on screen ? >>A penny for people's thoughts please as I work my way >through this cockpit building hobby ? I have seen people create "ATC Panels" for their cockpit - meaning buttons that generate those keystrokes (1,2,3...) so you can avoid the keyboard.But since you asked for thoughts, this is not exactly helping on your current problem, but what the heck :-)While the fs2002 ATC does indeed add a lot to the flyting experience, it is not very realistic (understandable, AI programming *is* a tough task) it has some very annoying habits that at least made me pretty annoyed. For example it creates a lot of situations like: "[b737], cleared to land, number two for landing, follow the Cessna Skyhawk on base".. I dont know which way is more annoying, to be flying the Cessna or the 737..? :-) But FS2002 does not really slow down, I have had many occasions where I am just maybe a mile to runway threshold and the big jet storms past my Cessna.. Not Fun..Anyway, to the original point: Be sure to check into VATSIM (www.vatsim.net) - it is real-people run online flying organization with the intention to maintain ATC services for simulator pilots. Their goal is to be as realistic as possible, so they use the real world procedures and phraseology etc, and you can talk to them with your headset (uses "Roger Wilco" program for "radio") - it is incredibly fun and adds greatly to the simulation feeling if you ask me, so be sure to check it out. Sure, it does require some learning of stuff, but if you start off with simple VFR flights at first it should be fine.So, since you offered a virtual penny for my thoughts, you got them :-)Tuomas

>While the fs2002 ATC does indeed add a lot to the flyting >experience, it is not very realistic (understandable, AI >programming *is* a tough task) it has some very annoying >habits that at least made me pretty annoyed. For example it >creates a lot of situations like: "[b737], cleared to land, >number two for landing, follow the Cessna Skyhawk on base".. >I dont know which way is more annoying, to be flying the >Cessna or the 737..? :-) But FS2002 does not really slow >down, I have had many occasions where I am just maybe a mile >to runway threshold and the big jet storms past my Cessna.. >Not Fun.. Oh duh, should not have used square brackets there, it ate those words and I am making zero sense on the above ;-)What I wanted to say is FS2002 ATC does not seem to care about different speeds of aircraft, it can happily clear a 747 to land behind you when you are on final with a C172, and the AI planes dont really slow down so the 747 will pass you in the approach even though it was cleared as number two.. Not fun when you have to concentrate on the approach and suddenly you see this huge piece of virtual aluminium fill the screen...why-I-dont-like-fs2002-atc.jpegThe above is a good example, I was cleared to land before that 737.. So I like the fact that there is ATC, it adds to the realism a lot, but I can heartly recommend you to try out VATSIM if you want, it is pretty awesome with the real spoken radio communication etc..Tuomas

I have never flown with Vatsim, because I fly on a different computer than the one the internet is on. I am planning on getting a new computer with a cable modem, and I was wondering that if you fly on Vatsim, would you see the other people's planes flying around you or are you all alone with ATC? That would be cool to see hundreds of other planes all around you!

Guest jpcxcf

You'll only see the planes that are also connected to VATSIM.Why don't you share your conection and fly?Regards,Pedro