Sign in to follow this  

Twin throttle /prop pitch quadrant

I have a Seneca Twin quadrant that I wish to interface with FS2002.I am looking for wiring diagrams for pot to USB for each of the controls. At this stage mixture is not important as I generally fly turbo props.I am new to this side of simming so any help /drawings / pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Guest MikePowell

Good morning,Going from a potentiometer to a USB port is most easily accomplished through use of a USB to gameport adapter. This is a device that allows older style joysticks to be connected through USB. Radio Shack has carried them in the past. Rockfire is the trade name of another USB-gameport adapter carried by a variety vendors. Web search to find an acceptable price. With such an adapter, you get driver software and what looks like a standard gameport connection that you can wire your potentiometers to. Pinning for the gameport can be found here: www.mikesflightdeck.com/gameport_1.htm Another way is to use the electronics from an existing USB joystick. A good approach if you can find a mechanically damaged, but otherwise functional unit.Either method will bridge from the analog nature of a potentiometer to the bit serial protocol of the USB.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders

MikeThanks for the info & your informative site.I would like to build the pot to USB cabling myself.I assume that I will need 2(two) USB ports to run the quadrant ?Assumption:Joystick A X axis for throttle 1Joystick A Y axis for throttle 2Joystick B X axis for Prop pitch 1Joystick B Y axis for Prop pitch 2? on Mixture I will be using a CH flightstick & rudder pedals connected via the game port.Is that configuration within protocol?Regards

Guest MikePowell

Using a single USB-game adapter, you should need only a single USB port. The cable will connect your four pots to the gameport connector on the adapter. For best results use shielded wire with the shield tied to the ground pin on the gameport end. The other end of the shield does not need to be connected.You should only need a second USB port if you buy another adapter for your mixture control.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders

I built my own dual P/T/M control. I bought two CH FltSim Yokes UBS. Each yoke has the single P/T/M controls. I removed these pots from each yoke useing a dremel tool to cut the controls out leaving the pots in their origional mounts. I removed the knob first. Now I have two sets of P/T/M with leavers still in place and pots in the origional mounts. I install the two P/T/M into the new control box that I built. The new control box has dual P/T/M (DC-3, C-47 type) which is the twin that I fly the most(R4D-Navy) I placed the CH P/T/M on a shelf in the back of the box and conected the new levers to the CH/leavers with model RC airplane linkage. All I had to do was extend (Add a little wire) to reconect pots back to CH Yoke. Both yokes are conected to the USB. Both yokes work in fs2k2 although you can only use one at a time as for Ail/Elev/Rud. All switches can be assigned. Dual P/T/M is assigned within fs2k2. I think you could link your throttles to the CH pots in the same manner. Don't know how much pots cost in relation to two FlightSim yokes but having them already mounted and wanting a dual control sys, this made sense in my case. My Cockpit looks simular to the DC-3/R4D.. Would send a pic but don't know how to past it to this area.Could e-mail if you like... ED

I thought I should clarify something here. It is NOT possible to connect a pot to a USB port directly, you need a USB interface of some kind, either a gameport to USB converter or the circuit board out of a USB joystick.Peter>Mike >>Thanks for the info & your informative site. >I would like to build the pot to USB cabling myself. >I assume that I will need 2(two) USB ports to run the >quadrant ? >Assumption: >>Joystick A X axis for throttle 1 >Joystick A Y axis for throttle 2 >Joystick B X axis for Prop pitch 1 >Joystick B Y axis for Prop pitch 2 >? on Mixture >>I will be using a CH flightstick & rudder pedals connected >via the game port. >>Is that configuration within protocol? >>Regards

Picture of above. Leavers are linked mech. to levers and pots from two CH Yokes Pots were removed from CH Yokes and installed in back of new unit. as per pic.

Guest MikePowell

Very nice! Always pleasing to see innovative solutions that are well executed.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Thanks Mike: Checked out your site. Well done and lots of good info. Annunciator lights are a work of art. (COMMENTS) A picture is worth a thousand words. ED"FOX"

DC-3/C-47/R4D Cockpit, gear and flat handles in the works.