Sign in to follow this  

Rudder pedal wiring for a newbie

Could anyone please answer the following .I use a suncomic joystick/throttle combo in win XP / FS2002. As this company is out of business, I have set the driver as a 4 axis with POV switch and all works ok.I have been looking at making rudder pedals and I want to make sure I understand how to connect them.According to what I read on the net, I would connect the pot (100K) between pin 9 and pin 11 on the DB15 plugIf I do this..1) will this work with any Joystick , specifically the suncomic combo I use?2) Do I have to do anything in the Joystick configuration to let the sim/or PC know that there are now rudder pedals connected or will it automatically see that because I have connected between those 2 pins?Thanks in advance for any adviceNorm

Norm,In principle this will work with ANY joystick that doesn't use the 4rth axis (i.e. has pin 11 not connected yet).But, if the joystick has a specific (non-default Windows) driver, the driver has to support the "rudder/pedals" axis.I.o.w. When installing the driver, it must have an option like "rudder/pedals enabled" like all the default WIndows controller driver have.If you don't set this option, Windows (and therefore FS2K2) will not see the 4rth axis.Rob

Thanks RobThe joystick combo I use now has dual throttles which I split and use one of the axis as throttle and the other as elevator trimDoes this mean that as I am now using all 4 axis that I would not be able to connect the home made rudder pedals to the pins ( 9 and 11)which are supposed to be for the rudder?BTW, there is not an XP driver for this combo, so I had to assign it as a custom driver with 4 axis.Thanks again for your help.Norm

Norm,Yes, since a controller only has 4 axis, you have to find another solution.The best way is to buy a socalled Gameport-to-USB convertor, which gives you another 4 axis via a USB connection.Example brands: Radioshack, or SItecom.Costs about 15 US$.Rob

Thanks again RobSo if I understand you correctly, you would have 4 axis available viathe db15 plug and another 4 via the USB or is that not correct?How would you configure that?Thanks againNorm