Sign in to follow this  

an odd question

This question doesn't directly deal with flight simming (tho it very well could with the right application), so I apologize in advance. I'm searching all over the internet and tweaking co-workers' knowledge for help, and thought I'd post here where great developers hang out (how's that for kissing rump? Seriously, I'm in awe of ideas that flow here)...Anyway, what I want to do is either code (or have coded by some willing soul) a windows service that will monitor a serial port (or USB/parallel for that matter) that is hooked to a NO set of relay contacts, and should the relay go NC, will trigger the service to do the configured task.To be more specific, (and show how my application is truly non-flight sim related) I want to hook up the port on my server to my low-level home security alarm's relay contacts, and should the alarm be triggered, I want to send emails to supplied addresses (through .ini or, for .NET, .config files).Again, sorry for being off topic, but this could very well have it's virtual cockpit's uses as well.Any ideas?Feel free to take this off line by emailing me at bhynes@acmcentral.com.Thanks again.-Brian

Guest PeterK

PeterKWith a little programming in C++ you can use that Analog game portto run 4 door switches and use the x and y axis too on anyother sensor from heating to IR leds...You looking for a rs232 interface card to run the relaysTry looking at a few security web sites...MY FBI-2 house alarmhas all kinds of computer interfacing...But its hard enoughto get the family to enter the code when leaving the houseso i gave up on the computer deal...HIHI pete

Guest MikePowell

Hi Brian,Weeder Technologies (www.weedtech.com ) sells an I/O module for $59US that interfaces through a serial port. It's pretty simple to put a windows routine together that grabs the serial port and plays watchdog on it. You can set a timer to activate a query of the device every so often. Alternatively, you can start a thread and just let it block until an incoming character hits it. See Programming Windows by Petzold or Windows 98 Programming by Schildt. There is a pretty reasonable document on the MS site that overviews serial com under windows. "Serial Communications in Win32" by Allen Denver. MSDN Home>MSDNLibrary>SDK Documentation>Communication Resources I can never find something in the same place twice over there, but it should still be somewhere in the MSDN area.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.