Sign in to follow this  

flap notches on homemade flap question

Hi everyone,I have made a flap control and i have a question which regards to distance between each flap movement.Is their a way to "distant" each flap setting on a 100k pot that im using so when i move my flap leverin increments they are not so close together?Does FIUPIC adjust this changing the "min" or am i stuck with such close quarters of movement.I am currently using a 100k pot/ 270 degree.It works just fine but the movements are "too close" together. I want to try to spread them a bit futher apart.Any suggestiond are welcome!ThankyouJames

Guest MikePowell

James,One option you might consider is replacing your potentiometer with a multiple position rotary switch. Wire fixed resistors between each of the poles. For example, imagine that "W" is the common (or wiper) contact of the switch and that "A", "B", "C", and so on are the poles. Connect a 10K resistor between A and B, another 10K resistor between B and C, another between C and D, and so on. Wire from W and A to wherever you had the pot connected. When the switch is in position A you have zero resistance, position B presents 10K, C presents 20K, D 30K and so on.You can choose resistance values to taylor the profile of flap positions you desire. This approach provides detents, which may be desireable (or not). On the down side it offers only discrete flap positions.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

James,I'm not sure with just using FSUIPC, but with EPIC, its a breeze.Michael

I seems like a logical solution Mike..but do i really have to get that involved with "electronics" being that i am not electrical savy?I dont have an EPIC card and im using a joystick cable pin plug for my "spoilers/2 engines / and flaps"Is there a way by changing the flap settings in the aircraft config file mabe?I am simulating a A320AIRBUS and they have 6 settings.Speaking of AIRBUS when does the leading edge flap supposed to deploy?Is there a setting just for that? or does that lead into "1+ 1 trailing"Im finding that on the first(1) flap move the leading edge flap activates and stops, and then when i move on to the next (2) all flaps retracts.Then flaps (3) i get front/and 2 trailing / then setting (4)front/ and 3 settings and finally (5) full.Is this normal for this aircraft?Thanks for any inputJames

Guest MikePowell

James,No, you don't have to get buried in the electronics, and if there is a suitable config adjustment, going that way would seem best. I admit that a few (many? most?) of my posts fall in the "Why do it easy in software when you can do it hard in hardware" category. This simply reflects by background, and the state of my garage which is filled with the plunder of far too many trips to electronics swap meets.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

I can relate with that!..my 2 car garage is now my workshop and cockpit project,hanger for my 1/4 scale RC aircrafts and art studio for earning extra cash for my cockpit.The cars took a back seat to priority, besides...their made to be outside anyway!!Well thanks for your input Mike and i will keep plugging till i find a happy medium somewhere..!I will post a photo of it shortly while before i cover it. With what marterial ..i dont know.RegardsJames

Guest RichardL

James,Try the "Sensitivity" setting in FS2002. It's in one of the drop down menus for joysticks. Moving the sentitivity slider gives the pot a wider or narrower range. Once set, then go to FUSIPC and calibirate the Flaps.For me, with the sensitivity at the lowerst (left) setting, FSUIPC would show values of 0 - 2000. At the highest (right) setting the values would be 0 - 8000. Those are from memory, but I believe they are close. The Null also has an affect, but I'm not sure just what it does. It worked for me. Richard

Hey Richard,Thanks for that tip,im itching to sneak into the cockpit to try it out but my wife and I made plans tonight.Will try first thing tomorrowRegardsJames

James,This looks like a familiar discussion :-)See http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID42But to answer your question:1. Make sure the axis is properly calibrated in Windows Controller menu (= a full swing of the indicator corresponds to a 270 degree rotation of the pot)2. In FS2002, set Sensitivity to MAX and Nullzone to MIN.3. With FSUIPC, do a fine calibration:When properly calibrated, a full 27- degrees rotation of the Pot gives an OUTPUT range of 0 - 16383.When you have done that, FSUIPC splits the rotation range in more or less "x" equal parts, where "x" is the number of flap positions.Provided you have used a LINEAIR potmeter of course.Rob

Thankyou Rob,I will give this a shot also...sounds logical ,but let me ask..if i cut down the calibration swing ; in turn will give me "closer" ,less movement on the flap lever? is that what your saying? ..so i might be able to calibrate it to fit just what i need?RegardsJames

James,Yes, that's right. The only thing you can't control is the size of each step independantly of each other.So if you want a smaller rotation per flaps position (e.g. use only half of the max rotation of the pot): SET the FSUIPC value when the potmeter is half rotated (so INPUT value is appr. 8000).Now the OUTPUT value is set to 16383 at this position.Rob