Sign in to follow this  

Radio Reciever Help

Hey everyone... I have a really dumb question being a private pilot myself, I live near CYYZ, and I would like to get a radio to listen in on the CYYZ tower frequency so I learn some lingo, as I am only starting off as a pilot, could someone tell me what exectly I need to and maybe where I can get a radio... (TYPE, manufacture etc.. anyting).. PLEASERegardsDAnM

Guest MikePowell

Hi,I built one of these years ago and it worked fine.http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/c...=action&key=AR1You may be able to get tower audio off the Internet for free. Some time ago I know there were audio web broadcasts of tower frequencies. I don't remember the URL, unfortunately. Nor do I know if they continue today. You might start looking at www.landings.com Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest PeterK

PeterKI monitor the Local airport with a SONY AIRSCAN 2...Its a portable radio but more lives bolted to the rack...Another good VHF radiowith HF also Is the Kenwood R2000 which is a great VHF air recieverI monitor the Big guys comming over the atlantic with the R2000on HF but also use a Kenwood TS180 Ham rig for HF monitoring...In the picture inclosed is my setup for aviation monitoring..I also have a satalite dish (HOME BREW) and get NASA and theFrench space agency out of Africa...The local Air national guardbase and Coast guard Helo and jet I monitor with a Bearcat police scanner on the vhf anf uhf bands...Pete http://home.attbi.com/~fs-cockpitsimulator

>Hey everyone... I have a really dumb question being a >private pilot myself, I live near CYYZ, and I would like to >get a radio to listen in on the CYYZ tower frequency so I >learn some lingo, as I am only starting off as a pilot, >could someone tell me what exectly I need to and maybe where >I can get a radio... (TYPE, manufacture etc.. anyting).. >PLEASE Hi!I have a "Maycom AR-108" airband scanner radio, it is very small (cigarette box -size) and works okay for listening to the air traffic control stuff, plus I can hear the ATIS from the airport. There are several ones available, check your favorite pilot supplies store, they most likely have many.AR-108 is the entry-level simple one, there are more fancy ones too with better scanning etc.. I just want the local airport frequencies stored in memory banks and it's fine for me, I always listen to a certain frequency anyway so the scanning part is not interesting me. For scanning there might be better alternatives but I guess someone else can tell more about those.Also, if you do simulators, check out vatsim - www.vatsim.net - I fly online to practice the radio skills and time estimation and situation awareness. It's great practice, just remember to *first* learn from your PPL material how things work in real life, then go to VATSIM to practice it. Other way around you could possibly pick up some strange habits, since vatsim is run by volunteers. They are very good but as in all volunteer communities there is no *quarantee* that the radio phraseology and procedures apply to real world. So it's cool when you remember to learn The Right Thing first, then have fun flying online.Tuomas