Sign in to follow this  

AML22 Wiring for Hagstrom KE72

I purchased Honeywell AML22 switches for my MCP and would like to wire them up to a hagstrom KE72 card which I have as well. I've tested toggles successfully by just wiring up the ground and one Input line to the toggle switch but I can't seem to get the AML22s to work.Any help or wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated!Best regards,Pesach(KJFK)

Pesach,Are you sure the programming is right in the KE-72? Let me know if you still have problems and I'll post one of my tradional (less than talented) bitmaps depicting how they should be wired. Just make sure if your running power to the lamps, assuming they have them, you dont cross the wires with those on the 72. You'll fry the 72.Michael

Hi Michael,This is the first time I'm using the Hagstrom KE72 so I probably overlooked something. In any case, this is what the config looks like for that input line:IN02:&l;(+)CTRL&r;&l;F4&r;&l;(-)CTRL&r; This will toggle VNAV Honeywell AML22The AML22 switches each have an LED but I'm not powering them at the moment. Each AML switch has three pins for the switch itself and an additional 2 for the LED. The words next to the pins are: +Vs, 0, - and each AML22 also has the following text on its side:"5V SINK PULSE8341"I tried to simply connect one ground wire and one wire from IN02 to the AML22. I even tried to connect the wires in different permutations to the AML pins but no luck. I tried different AML22s but no luck either. Not sure if all this helps, but I then removed the AML22 and connected a plain toggle switch from Radio Shack to the input line and it worked.Thanks for your help!Best regards,Pesach(KJFK)

Pesach,What program are you trying to activate the VNAV in? Magenta? PIC767?also, what is the actual keyboard command to activate this action within whatever program your using?Michael

Pesach,i can not help with the hagstrom but i use sveral AML 22 here myself.they have on one side 3 pins and 2 pins in the middle. this is the one pole 1 led version. some have 3 pins on both sides and the 2 pins in the middle. this is the two pole version.beside the 3 pins on the side are two markings "NO" and "NC" at the botton of the switch. the center one is the common. the no is open when not pressed and closes if the button is pressed. the nc is closed when not pressed and opens when pressed.in the two pole version the two are working the same way but are electricly independent.beside one of the 2 led pins in the middle is a "+" to indicate how the led must be connected.hope i could help you.Achim Bethke

Hi Michael,The program I'm trying to connect to is PS1.3a. VNAV is toggled on/off by the Ctrl+F4 key sequence.Thanks for your help,Pesach(KJFK)

>Hi Michael, >The program I'm trying to connect to is PS1.3a. VNAV is >toggled on/off by the Ctrl+F4 key sequence. Just a quick tip: Notepad is a good thing to test if your wiring works for keyboard encoders: Just make the button generate some plain ASCII characters (abcd...) and clicking the button should input text to notepad. It's also handy for testing of rotary switches etc so you see what kind of stuff gets generated. I would guess the windows "Keycaps" app might work too, just dont make the encoder generate Alt-F4 or Ctrl-Alt-Del :-)Tuomas

Hi Achim!The AML22s that I have only have one pole (three pins) and two pins for the LED. Total of 5 pins. I'm not sure if the switch has "NO" and "NC" on it, but I'll check tonight.Thanks so much for your help!Best regards,Pesach(KJFK)

Pesach(Oops, I previously posted this in the wrong thread.......) Pesach,Below I have posted a diagram for you to assist in wiring the AML's correctly. Also I took a look at your programming and it looks correct. Just make sure the wires for the switch are correctly attached to the output pins of the KE72.Michael Attachmentshttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e293e3f6c835cca.jpg

Thanks Michael!I'll use that diagram tonight and will let you know how it goes.Best regards,Pesach(KJFK)