Sign in to follow this  

Vibration as "force feedback"

Everyone, If motor vibration can be used in as a forcefeed back, Is there any idea how I could get it to programming it with FS2K2? any interfaced card or ICs that can do these functions? Let me know

Guest MikePowell

Arthur,How about a sound card? I don't know off hand how low the lower frequency limit is, but it seems pretty low. Sounds are already supported, and I believe can be edited. You could hack a cheap woofer rather than using a motor.What conditions would trigger the force feedback? Are you thinking of a stick shaker?Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest dirkan

Hi,i made some experiments using a bass shaker. It was connected to the speaker output of soundcard. It was ok, but i will improve this with extra hardware. The fsuipc interface has some bits, which can be computed to drive a piece of hardware, which generates a slow random signal driving the shaker. I'll try to use the electronic, which was used by the music synthesizer's of the 70's. A white noise signal is filtered by a low-pass (1Hz or lower) and the amplitude is controlled by the signals from fs.I'll keep you informed about this.

Guest firmo

Hi Dirk,I think that just having feedback on landing (a thump on seat)and some vibration while taxying would be just fine for the simulator.Do you know the variable in FSUIPC that tells when the aircraft lands (wheels touch the groud) and vice versa. This variable could be used to drive a Tactile Transducers like the one proposed by Chad Gray. See this link:http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_4_2/tactile.htmlIf you know what these variables in FSUIPC are please let me know.Best, Firmo

Guest MikePowell

That sounds most interesting, Dirk. I look forward to your updates.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

I'd have sound card to hear alarm by the overhead, as for engine, turblence, landing gear and everything with subwoofer underneat the cockpit... but for shaker, I'd want to have it on yoke. say if I get vibration connecting to by pass wire of a speaker would that work? let me know more details

Guest MikePowell

Arthur,If you simply want to turn a stick shaker motor on and off, you could use one of your LED control lines. Use that to drive a relay controlling the motor power.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest dirkan

Hello Firmo,The offsets which might affect shaking:088c Engine 1 Throttle lever08d4 Engine 1 Vibration0b4c Ground altitudeVertical speed when Ground-Altitude changes to 0 may be a reasonabletouch down event value. I haven't tested this yet.Dirk

I am not sure I get what you mean... can you rephase that?

Guest MikePowell

If you already have indicator lights interfaced to the simulator software, a relay might be used to control power to a stick shaker motor. The relay coil could be energized by one of the output channels on the light interface. That channel becomes a "light" that shakes rather than glows.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Hi Arthur, My DIY cockpit controls doc http://library.avsim.com/sendfile.php?DLID=13666 (or in the how-to section in flightsim.com) gives details on building the tactile transducers and special audio amp for getting vibration to your seat, trottle and rudder pedals via the sound card signals.Other types of vibration may be got from FF yoke electronics. I guess you still remember the message I posted on this a while backhttp://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID42In the FS2002 airplane config file you can edit things like gear wheels bounce on the runway, gear up and down vibration, etc. Unfortunately I haven't seen or felt any stall shaker action, but then again, I never fly the heavy planes that have this feature. RgdsRoland

Guest firmo

Hi Dirk,Thanks for the info.Best,Firmo