Sign in to follow this  

Real ADI Follow up PART 2

Hello,Finally a choice has been made. SERVOS. As you can see on the attached pictures the servo for Axis -X - fits already in. I must now find a small one for Axis - Y. As you can see on the attached pictures the frame of the original motor ( as I did for Axis X) has been "Dremeled" out in order to get a servo fitted in. One problem is still in front of me.As you can in one of the pictures attached I have to find a solution in order to get the axis directly connected to the shaft of the servo.(axis side shown is the wrong side but is the same on the other side)There are as far as I know two type of shaft. The one I photographed and a square one used on Multiplex servos. I would avoid the obvious solution: let make a new axis fitting directly, might be very expensiv.Smart minds, knowledged, skilled, gifted people requested for help.Lots of thanks in advance.Kind regardsRoger

Guest MikePowell

Good morning, Roger.Use the control horn that is made for the spline shaft of the RC servo. Fabricate a metal disk about 2 cm in diameter that can be connected to the control horn. It should be centered on the servo shaft axis and flat against the control horn. Drill holes around the perimeter of the disk that match the holes in the control horn. Next, select a bit of thin wall brass tubing (the hobby store stuff works) that just slides over the ADI shaft the servo is to drive. Cut a slot length-wise in the tubing perhaps a cm long. This will allow the tubing to be clamped around the ADI shaft. Drill a centered hole in the disk that matches the outside diameter of the brass tube. Using a filled epoxy (it's stronger), glue the un-slotted end of the brass tubing in the disk. What you should have should look like a miniature pipe with an oversized flange on one end. This is the technique used in the VOR/GS CDI and the attitude indicator prototype here: www.mikesflightdeck.com/DIY_servo_instruments.htm Making use of the plastic control horn both provides a simple way to couple to the servo shaft as well as providing a bit of flexibility. Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Hi Mike,Once more thanks a lot, indeed. It's clear, simple and really easy to do.Thanks.RegardsRoger

Guest MikePowell

I am pleased to have been of help, Roger. I appreciate the pictures that you have posted. I am perpetually curious about how things function and are built. Your pictures have provided a good insight into the ADI's workings.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

Hallo Mike,I just followed your advice ( let's say at 80%)Now a little Multiplex Servos is in the sphere.Both Servos have been connected to the main shaft as seen on the second pictures.RegardsRoger