Sign in to follow this  

I am nervous about spending so much money on yoke

Guest Richard_H

2 pointsFor General Aviation, I can

Depends on your needs !!!I've had a CH Virtual Pilot Pro (game port) for about 4-5 years. As a non-real-world pilot, it has fit my needs very well. Of course I would upgrade to a newer CH-USB model if I felt the need, but I just don't feel this need.I can see where some people would want to spend "big bucks" for a better "feel". I'm not into it that much. I suppose it's about like my dog who doesn't have any idea of what a "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" is. But he's still very happy with any old dog food he can get his mouth into.I did try a force-feedback unit. It was crap, and it went back.RegardsBob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

I use XP Pro and I downloaded the XP drivers from CH's website. I use my Yoke, Throttle, and CH Pedals all the time.Matt

Guest Ferer five

I can't help adding my 10 cents at this point. I fly professionally too and I have been interested in sims since 1988, starting with Sublogic on floppy disks. Since then, PC based simulators together with PC's have evolved and offer a flying experience that is very close to the real thing. Except for one thing: yokes and rudder pedals. I have been using CH Products 's products upgrading each new release and I find them terrible. They are nothing but an over-priced plastic toy. There is nothing resembling the real feel of a yoke or pedal, even remotely. And the software and drivers going with it give the same amateur-like impression. The only reason I use CH products is that there is nothing else (yoke) in the same price range. CH Products have been selling their overpriced product unchallenged for many years. I hope someone picks up the torch and markets a quality competing product soon.About 5 years ago I bought the Cirrus II yoke with throttle quadrant from Precision Flight Controls. I paid about $2000 if I remember right and it's been sitting in my closet ever since. The yoke does feel right but it turns out the majority of the control buttons on the unit were not wired to anything inside the box... Customer support was practically nil. To top it all, it had a dedicated interface to Elite and could not be used for MS flight sim or any game port based simulator. I guess, to answer the initial post, I would be very hesitant to spend any amount of money without a trial first.I just wish that yoke/pedal and other human interface devices would keep up with the improvments made by simulators in terms of realism and quality, even if always ten steps behind.A hint to all the entrepreneurs out there...there is a market.Charles

Guest Jaaky

Hi Richard,I have the gameport version...Yes I had to swallow too before spending all that money.Am using them now already for few years..The realistic feel and quality are really unique.I use them together with my old Thrustmaster pedals.Spend that daugh... and get the very best!Jaaky

Thank you all very much for your input.I still cannot make up my mind.Will think about it over the weekend.Just would be nice to have a yoke with a smooth gliding motion instead of this wretched sticking which I get. Its terrible when you are trying to manually land an aircraft.regards to allRichard

Charlie,Not exactly correct. CH have released XP Combat Stick drivers which give almost 100% functionality with the AFCS. Then combine this with the latest Version of FSUIPC which allows button assignments and you have 100% functionality for the Yoke and all its buttons.Keith Cocker

Guest BrianC

I keep my CH yoke lubed up with silicone lubricant. Because it is not petrolium-based it will not harm the plastic. I found that it's best to apply fairly liberally and not wipe away the excess.It's much cheaper than a US$500 yoke. :)

Richard:As a final note, even the AETI AFCS yoke will have something of a dead zone or slight sticking to it in the center of the yokes fore and aft travel. This is due to the fact that you have opposing sets of springs that are trying to center the yokes travel, and as they [the springs] reach the centered point they relax, and you are left overcoming the frictional forces imposed by the bushings that the shaft for the yoke rides on. Well maintained this aspect of operation is barely noticeable, but still present. Thought you'd like to know.Rick

>2. With regards to the Joystick controller, I'll have to >run home to look at the model number, but it is the Logitech >Wingman Force Feedback Joystick. It is 2.5 years old now, >and it's model may have been upgraded. >How well does force feedback work with FS2002? Does realisticallysimulate the forces you feel in a real airplane? I think I have read here before that force feedback is not good to use with MS FS, butI'm not sure. If it works well maybe a force feedback joystick couldbe a good choice.

There are many people around the world who enjoy Flight Simulation, many thousands I should think, and yet we have only one choice to buy a NOT SO EXPENSIVE yoke.If I go into any computer store there must be ten or maybe fifteen wheels for car racing games!!!I just find it hard to believe that some company has not seen the need for another reasonable yoke.Microsoft for example, would'nt you think they would backup their Flight Simulators with a nice yoke instead of joysticks?regardsRichard

Well, at least we have a single yoke.But consider this .. to this date there is not even a single affordable implementation of a throttle quadrant (or just a throttle) that can be operated by the right hand (the throttle on the CH yoke is a joke - I don't count it). It tells you that the market demand is primarily in the area of combat flying. Michael J.

Guest gasebah

Exactly my sentiments. Maybe 20 or 30 of us should collect some money, go to a decent mechanical engineer, pay for the tooling, get us some nice yokes, and get rich in the process.:-) Who is with me on that?Alex

Guest Michael_CFII_SEL

Hello,I purchased my flight yoke from PFC $900+ dollars. It is the jetliner floor mounted unit. I will NEVER use anything else ever again!!!. It is the new USB model, the only problem I am having is with Windows XP, everytime I reboot I have to unplug and replug in the yoke because it is not recognized after bootup. If you are going to purchase this type of yoke go there!!!. It comes with a LIFETIME warrantee. Most other companies do not offer this type of warrantee. Speaking of throttles, I also purchased the throttle quadrant from VRAC $400+ dollars. The kit is NOT complete. I am missing the throttle handles, and there are NO instructions on how to build anything except the throttles. I still have this kit unassembled except for the throttles. VRAC states the parts are the same but they are not the same. There are added parts and assembly steps to the flaps, speed brake, and reversers. The instructions are useless except for the building of the throttles and the assembly of the pots. Other than the incomplete instructions and missing parts, it seems to be a nice kit. I will let you know how it performs after I get it built.Michael

I own PFC's (the manufacturer) Cirrus Yoke and can't say enough about it. I didn't like the CH Yoke - it's essentially a pole a slinky wrapped around it and was very imprecise. PFC's products come with a lifetime warranty and are very, very solidly built. They are also very precise. I couldn't land anything consistently until I purchased mine. Check out their website directly. They may have some non-USB units that they are clearing out. You lose about 50% of the button functionality in MSFS2002 (it's a Microsoft thing), but you could probably save some bucks. One more thing to consider. How much did you spend on your computer, RAM, video card etc. I contend that good controls are more important than just about anything else. My PFC yoke dramatically improved my experienec. Unless of course you just want to to take-off, hit VNAV and LNAV and switch on the TV set...then not worth it at all.