Sign in to follow this  

Gears-Im looking for one

Anyone, I am looking for mechanical gears that can be used for Throttle and Yoke attaching to potentiometer.. so does anyone know where I could find any resorces on internet that sells gears. let me know

HiLet me know your gear ratio, approximate center distance , center hole diameter and style (d-hole ect.) and whether you want them made from stainless , steel or aluminum, also the thickness and I will be happy to make them for you.Im' also making a quadrant will need help the the eltronic side of things when the time comes. :-)Floydwww.stollco.comfloyd@stollco.com

Guest MikePowell

Servo Link www.sevolink.com and Small Parts www.smallparts.com are potential sources as well. There are a few other possibilities listed in the mechanical section of my links page.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

To be honest, I am not mechanical experts, which means I don't know anything about the gear ratio.. But I know I need Three gears at 1/4 center hole diameter and One gears at 1/2 hole diameter. But if you can help me out by calcuating the diastance and the ratio for gears to be attached to potentiometer. I would get it measureed and let you know when I want for you to make one for me. Let me know

Hi ArthurA gear ratio is the amount of rotations for one gear to the amount of rotations for the other gear.example: you want to rotate a throttle lever 60 degrees and you want the pot to turn 270 degrees it = a 4.5:1 gear rationext you have to have a layout for your gears (is it just 2 gears or is it a gear train with idlers in between )if you just build something and have your shafts already fixed, you will be very lucky to find a set of gears that will work. You have to have your gears picked out and work from the gears.if you can get me a sketch of what you have planned I can help you out.Floyd

Oh okay, I am assuming you divide 270 degree of potentiometer by 60 degree of throttle that would makes 4.5:1 ratio of gears. Which makes 45 or 44 teeth for throttle rod and 10 teeth for potentiometer. But what I am wondering is, would it be a possible for you to make it a 12 pitch?? since I have a threaded rod which is 1/2 inch in need for diameter bore on gear, and for standard potentiometer which is found at electronic store especially radio shack that has a shaft which is 1/4 inch wider. Let me know... do you own webpage on gears?

Hi ArthurWe can make the same gear ratio in a variety of sizes, we just need toknow what approximate center distance you want and the ratio you need.

Floyd, I forgot to add attachement of my sketch on the quadrant I am planning working on. Oh Yes! I have 2 DC motor that already have 10 teeth gear on the shaft. Apparently so I'm lucky. I one of those at electronic store nearby my area. For $13.50...

Hi ArthurThis is a bit more complicated, but we can still do it.I have a few questions.do you have your motor interfaced yet?, is it a basic motor or is it a stepper motor, I am by no means an expert on the electronics involved but I do believe you need a stepper motor for what you want to achieve.Before we can really go anywhere on the gearing we need to know how many revolutions you motor will rotate for the amount of degrees yourthrottle lever move. I would guess that you will more than likely need a compound gear train for motor to give it more torque.Also I would gear you pot to the lever to make use of its full range which would give you more precise and smooth control of your throttle.Floyd

Floyd, First of all, The sketch I drew was not to be determine as of far as of yet. It's just a theory that come up in my mind at mechanical structure. It's the effort I could give to make a better solution for autothrottle. What I am doing is trying to find a way to avoid any interference with motor when autothrottle is disengaged, and when It is engaged I would want the motor to set at posistion at indicated airspeed. Nylon Washer in between nuts and gear is one reason that possibility can avoid interferer or corrupt with motor. In my theory, I think once autopilot is disengaged... moving the throttle at full thrust or at idle position. The gear would just stay at posistion since the flat rod would be slipping through nylon washer, at same time it can just move the Potentiometer that is attached with flat rod also. And when the Autothrottle is engaged it would just put move the whole thing, the rod, gear, and potentiometer together. But I can't say it would be a sucessful solution and I was assuming it would not be a sucessful solution since I liked your theory. The motor I am using is a DC Volt Motor-- I can't really tell exactly specs of motor which mean I wouldn't know how much revolutions,but what I wanted it for motor to move the flat rod at 45 degree. If you just think it'd not be a such good Idea, I can go for 60 degree. Only thing I could tell is that I have two 12 volts DC motors and I am assuming, it allows only up to 3 amps of current. I also Have two 5V Stepper motors which allow only up to 1.2 amps of current, also it can push/pull at 25oz of item with torque. It wouldn't matter if I could use Stepper motor or DC Volts. But, perhaps a problem regarding to stepper motor. I am assuming the rod along with a design of throttle (shape of B767-400 Series) weights at least 30 to 40 oz, and that stepper motor may not have enough torgue to get it moved. I've tried expierment on 12V DC motor, attaching + and - Alligator gate at the terminal of motor from the 13.7DC power suppy, and sure that motor spin real fast and it's so loud. Poor my dog were scared when she heard that! Anyway... since you suggest me that Stepper motor would be the best solution, maybe we could figure out how to solve the problem about gear train. As for interface circuit, I have not yet started interface it. I have already found schematics that can work with DC motor and possibilty for a stepper motor too. But to say this, I must remind you I can only allow up to 2 amps of current through this interface circuit because I am planning on connecting the interface drive motor to the EPIC Output module. And the EPIC output module which can only limit up to 2 amps, otherwise I would melt whole epic modules. Let me know if you come up with any idea, I would love to hear it.

P.S. I Just e-mailed Raplh Robinson (the epic creator) he said he would have used servo motor for quadrant since stepper motor would require lot of programming. So might as well I could search for servo motor which is a best solution, do you think so?

Arthur,I am planning to do an Auto-throtle similar to yours with the following differences :1) I will put the pot between the motor and the big gear, the pot will be drived thru an intermediate gear fitted to the pot shaft.This design will replace yours small bars to drive the pot, I think that is more simple to be built.2) I also intend to use a DC motor, with the DC motors we can adjust its speed easily with resistors or any other speed regulator device or even using a small gear box.3) As I don't have EPIC I will use a RC servo to switch the motor and its right position will be get using FT 639 ( www.ferrettronics.com ) and a small soft I have to extract from FS the correct position of the lever.Go ahead, I will be tuned in order to share my experiments with you.Best regards. Alberto Kunzel

Arthur,Only for your acknoledgement, the intermediate gear ( fitted to the pot ) can be any size ( any numbers of teeth )because the final ratio is given between the first and last gear, what change when you introduce an intermediate gear, as I am doing, is the direction of the gears, the first and last one will have the same direction.RegardsAlberto Kunzel

Hi Alberto, Any chance you can post picture or sketch of your work? The sketch I did was because I thought I could not find bigger size of gears. That can allow leveler go 60 degree and tuns potentiometer at 270 degree. I have tried hours and hours through webpages or source to find any manufacturer that creates big size gears. I have friend who is certified as mechanical engineering telling me that bars that attach to potentiometer would give the motor hard work since bars just add too much torque due to friction. So I am going to change my plan, Just to have Big gear in center attached to leveler, have two other gears at any size that can match with big gear teeth for potentiometer and motor like you said. You can get the idea on attached pics. If you were about to disengage auto throttle, and manually move the leveler from idle to full thrust would motor still rotate along with gears? Would it cause trouble if set level at full thrust and by then you want to engage auto throttle? would the motor know where to set at the position based on airspeed following by FS2002 program after manually changing the leveler? Let me know...

Arthur,See what I wrote in the topic of " Any H-Bridge schematics .... ".I will prepare some sketches for you.RgdsAlberto Kunzel