Sign in to follow this  

Gears-Im looking for one

Hi ArthurServo motors are perfect, The experience I have with them are with nc machinery and remote control planes. The problem with a servo for a remote is it runs off a worm gear, which gives tons of torque but cannot be rotated passively and would have to be mechanicaly disengaged from the throttle when the autothrottle is disengaged which has alot of disadvantages,we would have to come up with a way of keeping the reference point (it would have to be engaged at the same point it was disengaged). If you can source a servo motor at a reasonable cost that can be rotated passively it would make things alot simpler and would work flawlessly.Gearing isn't a problem, when we know what we need I can make them.Floyd

Guest MikePowell

Arthur,..."I must remind you I can only allow up to 2 amps of current through this interface circuit because I am planning on connecting the interface drive motor to the EPIC Output module."...I think you may be limiting your options a bit too much. You don't have to power your motor through the EPIC module. It is possible to supply the motor power from another power supply and use the limited power of the EPIC card to control the motor power. Taking this approach will require only milliamps from EPIC.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Floyd,Yes, I am aware of RC Servo motor, I have $350 worth of RC Car myself that has never been used since I was boyhood. I took everything out inside the car and see if I could use RC servo. I realize it's not worth to use so I decide I would order DC Servo motor instead. But hoping interfacing that circuit I was going to build would make it possible along with EPIC Output module. Is it possible for you to get me two of 3 to 4 inches of gears (I wouldn't know how many teeth it should have). And make it compatible with two other gears attached with primary? One gear would be for DC Servo and other one would be for potentiometer. Take a look at the attachment and get the idea if you have not seen it.

Arthur,From the RC servo I will take the information on the position of the throtle lever in FS, and nothing more, I will not use it to move nothing.See the sketch attached. Please note that I am reporting on your Dwg. , which is very clear and I think will work well.I will use one RC servo , two diodes ( D1/D2 )and two relays ( R1/R2), I will not do any modification in the RC servo, I will just connect the relays to its motor terminal.You have to work with the gear ratio of the Servo motor, so that the position of the lever throtle matches with the servo position.Check the full range of the RC servo, for instance, if you find that is 90

Good morning Arthur (from the west coast :-) )The gearing is no problem, I have all the latest machinery to make just about anything out of metal, C02 lasers, tool&die etc. The first step is to have your electronics interfaced with working motors so we can design the gear train, which is the base point to build the rest of the throttle unit from.I completed my flap module and it works great. I used 2 microswitches with flip-wheels which only actuate in one direction and a cam-wheel with the correct number of lobes for the number of flap positions, the flaps go to any position you set the lever, and it only uses the equivlent of 2 joystick buttons.p.s. I,m going to NewYork tomorrow so I wont be available next weekFloydCyvr

Alberto, Thanks for the sketch, that method can be used for anyone who doesn't have EPIC cards. For the one I'm planning on build H-Bridge circuit would be connected directly to EPIC output module and this wouldn't need any relay. I have few things to ask you....1) What can RC Servo along with DC Servo? I was told that RC servo would worn out worm gears and cannot be rotated passively if the A/T is disengaged, and that would be a problem if I want to move leveler manually. So I was assuming DC servo would be best solution.2) If A/T without EPIC... How can you program it? As matter of fact, I would want my A/T to be about 90 percent precisely similar to real life A/T in speaking of if I want to change speed at autopilot control I could have A/T move the leveler following via program.But at least, if you re doing experiment on your plan... let me know how it goes.

Arthur,>Alberto, >> Thanks for the sketch, that method can be used for >anyone who doesn't have EPIC cards. For the one I'm planning >on build H-Bridge circuit would be connected directly to >EPIC output module and this wouldn't need any relay. > I have few things to ask you.... >1) What can RC Servo along with DC Servo? I was told that RC >servo would worn out worm gears and cannot be rotated >passively if the A/T is disengaged, and that would be a >problem if I want to move leveler manually. So I was >assuming DC servo would be best solution.The output of the servos will not be used,I only use the electronic part of the RC servo, so the servo's gears will not work.This way when the A/T is disengaged and you manually move the lever the gears which will be turning are only that fitted to the potentiometer and that fitted to the "servo motor", not the motor of the "RC servo".>>2) If A/T without EPIC... How can you program it? As matter >of fact, I would want my A/T to be about 90 percent >precisely similar to real life A/T in speaking of if I want >to change speed at autopilot control I could have A/T move >the leveler following via program.In one of my post, I said that I was using the chip FT 639 from Ferrettronics and an specific soft to extract from FS some values, one of them is the throtle position.For this reason when I change the speed in the autopilot panel and the lever throtle in FS change its position the RC servo goes to the new position, and this way the relays (R1/R2)receives an input from RC servo motor leads and change the throtle lever position. >>But at least, if you re doing experiment on your plan... let >me know how it goes.I will keep you advised of any news, I will continue following your progress.Regards, Alberto Kunzel