Sign in to follow this  

Can anyone help in Networking 3 computors?

Hi My question is this:I have 2 computers for my cockpit- Computer-1 runs FS2002,has a network card and wireless USB network Computor-2 runs Project Magenta/WIDEFS for my instruments with the network card.I can get computer-2 and computer-1 to work together for my cockpit but have trouble getting computer-1 to connect to computer-3 (main hub wireless) for internet use.Is it possible to use both (network card/and USB wireless)?Example:While i am flying with networked computers-1&2 i want to connect to the internet with wireless USB(also on computer-1) to computer-3 for weather updates.Is it possible? or ...any solutions?Thankyou for any kind of help..JamesP.S. Computers-1 & 2 both have XP PROComputer-3 has ME (wireless main hub)

I don't know if this will help but here are some basics.Windows Me & XP are actually quite different, Me is actually the final 98 edition, they just didn't want to call it 3rd edition. Win Xp has almost the same Kernel as Win 2000, Xp being more of a network capable workhorse and built around networking where Me has networking. Basically that shouldn't make much of a difference. But it might if the format is different. If PC #1 & #2 have Xp and are formatted with NTFS 5 than I don't think that PC #3 w/windows Me will be able to properly communicate, win me using the FAT32 format. I have been out of the loop for awhile. If nothing else this comment will definatley get some answer flowing for ya, LOL.(It's amazing the stuff you forget when you stop computing for a couple years)Second; make sure you have all computers set up as follows.All Same "Workgroup Name" " "Subnet Mask"Ip address all different by one number, the last number. ex PC# 1 24.169.154.1 PC#2 24.169.154.2 etc...Personally I would get a Linksys Router, clone the address of your Mac address on your billed 10/100 card and connect all these via the router. I hope any of this helps, if you need help with the router setup and can do a much better job at that,LOL, unfortunatly I am rusty. Good Luck, and may the Networking gods look out for you.:-beerchug PS. Dosent Widefs have to be installed on all PCs?

James,Dan's recommendation to get a router is correct. If your computers are next to each other then I recommend a Router/Switch. If you want to use Wireless then get a Router/Switch that has Wireless Capability.The reason for the router is that it provides the IP addresses for all the computers and peripherals on the LAN. Each computer/peripheral needs it own IP address so the system knows whos talking to who (or is it whom?:-lol ). Below is an example using a Cable/DSL modem (optional):Cable/DSL modem ---> Router ---> Switch ---> 4 lines ---> ComputersIf you have a Router/Switch the junction between the Router and Switch are internal. If you have a Router/Switch with Wireless then you have an antennae on the Router/Switch that talks to your wireless Network Interface Card (NIC). The wired NICs are connected to the Switch outputs.The Cable/DSL modem allows interface to the Internet if you have a cable/DSL internet connection. If you Dial-up, you will have to have that interface in one of the computers.The HUB without a Router can only provide interface to two computers and needs extra steps for setup. In reality, you don't even need the HUB if you are connecting just two computers. You would use a cross-over cable between the two wired NICs. Again extra steps are required to setup the IP addresses.You could use Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) but I find it cumbersome vice using an external Router. It also uses up computer assets.

Hi,The recommandation about getting a router and connecting all your machines to this router through a central switch is good. Your may replace the switch by a wireless bridge and equip all your systems with wireless network interfaces. Most low-cost home router will also do automatic host address assignment (DHCP) which makes things easier for networking newbies !It seems to me that you're headed towards un-necessarily complex networking by having 2 network interfaces in one of your computers... But if you really want to, here's a few advices...- You'd actually have 2 subnets, which will require 2 ranges of IP addresses.- Don't use any IP address at random. Some specific ranges are reserved for private use, and you can use them safely on your home network. If you use something else you may have problems accessing some Internet servers- Private address ranges that you may use are anything beginning with 192.168. Therefore I advise you use the follwoing settings :Computer 1- 192.168.1.1 on the wireless interface- 192.168.2.1 on the wired interfaceComputer 2- 192.168.2.2 on the wired interfaceComputer 3- 192.168.1.2 on the wireless interfaceAlso, use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask for all interfaces.You can test the connections by using the command "ping a.b.c.d" (where a.b.c.d is another womputer's IP address) from a command line, and you should see if basic TCP/IP networking works or not.Once THAT works, start thinking about workgroup names and computer names, but that's not needed for games or Internet access.As for the Internet access... Manage to share Computer 3's internet connexion (which you haven't given much info about), wether by using some dedicted software or Windows ME's integrated "internet sharing" stuff. I can't help you on that, I haven't use 98/ME and such features in ages (I'm a sys admin and I've been under NT/2000/XP for ages). All I can tell you is that when Computer3's ready, all you'll have to do is configure the gateway address as 192.168.1.2 on Computer1.Note that by using such a setting, Computer 2 and Computer 3 are on totally independent subnets, and there's no way they can connect to each other. You'd have to configure Computer 1 as a router to do that.Last note : ME using Fat32 and NT/2000/XP using NTFS4 or NTFS5 has nothing to do with TCP/IP networking, or with Windows file sharing. It only matters if you want to move hard disks from a computer to another. Heck, do you think web servers use Fat32 ? Well, you can still access them, right ?

Hi everyone,I finally figured out how to do what i needed and it worked!Please dont ask me how i did it...i spent many hours adding/deleting and reinstalling..but anyway...i now have my 2 computers hardwired to each other through the network cards for my cockpit and i can now reach my main computer with the router by the wireless card on my computer in my cockpit.Windows XP ...the only way to go!I want to thank everyone for the supportive ideas!RegardsJames

So, did you buy a router in between your first message and your last one?I would like to hear a bit more about exactly how everything is configured, because you have described the config I am trying to achieve. I have successfully used ICS for my local routing up until now, but as you found, life gets a lot more difficult when wireless is added to the system.