Sign in to follow this  

More pipe dream questions about rotary encoders

I'm trying to decide on some options about a long term plan to build a GA twin cockpit for FS2002.My idea is to use monitors with cutouts to over the monitors in precise positions to simulate a panel. An ambitious idea is to mount knobs and switches on these cutouts in the positions where one would find them in the real thing.Added to the fact that I'm also trying to teach myself electronics basically from scratch, I'm confused about how to interface rotary encoder controls to FS2002. I'm muddling through the various ways of interfacing using Hagstrom stuff, hacked keyboards and so on, but the thing that has me puzzled is how to hardwire an encoder into a key sequence that requires multiple strokes. For instance, to actually turn an OBS with the keyboard, you have to select it with one key (V from memory), then use the + or - keys to rotate it. Could this be accomplished with a rotary encoder? Ideally, I would want it so you would just turn it one way and it would increase and if you turn it the other way it would decrease. I can understand (just) how to do it for something like elevator trim where there is a single key for up and a single key for down. But when it starts to get into multiple key sequences, I can't see how it can be done without some sort of advanced technique. Can you remap an individual OBS to a one key command for each direction?I hope the question doesn't have an incredibly obvious answer that I should have figured out myself.Thanks in advance.

Guest steve_j

Hi!read the FSUIPC advanced user documentation. There you will find how to convert the pulses of a rotary encoder.steve

>Hi! >>read the FSUIPC advanced user documentation. There you will >find how to convert the pulses of a rotary encoder. >>steve Thanks a lot!Another case of RTFM. I should have known it.Is there anything FSUIPC can't do, besides wash the dishes and walk the dog?Amazing stuff.