Sign in to follow this  

some questions on wideview

hi all i am interested in setting up widefs and wanted to ask you a few questionsi haved downloaded the widefs software and it said"In order to communicate, WidevieW uses the IPX protocol"i checked my computer and i dont think i have this so where do i get it to install it? also will if i get three more computers will i be able to have the first monitor looking at the cockpit and the second two for left wing view and the other for right wing viewalsoi looked at my local computer shop and they are selling a network card called 10/100 network card for $30 do i need this type of card to put in my computers, also will i need cablesthx you see ive never done anything like this beforethx

>hi all i am interested in setting up widefs and wanted to >ask you a few questions >>i haved downloaded the widefs software and it said >>"In order to communicate, WidevieW uses the IPX protocol" >>i checked my computer and i dont think i have this so where >do i get it to install it? From the Windows CD - I think in the network properties dialog where you see TCP/IP and possible other protocols, you can press the "Add new protocol" button and select IPX, I think it is something like "Client for microsoft windows network" or somesuch. Havent really played that much with windows so I dont remember exactly.>will if i get three more computers will i be able to have >the first monitor looking at the cockpit and the second two >for left wing view and the other for right wing view I think you can set each monitor view be what direction and zoom you want. Again, havent played much with wideview, but it should be possible. Consult the documentation that comes with WideView.>i looked at my local computer shop and they are selling a >network card called 10/100 network card for $30 do i need >this type of card to put in my computers, also will i need >cables You need a network card for each computer naturally plus cables. You also need a network hub if you want to network more than two computers, but the computer shop guy can help you with the setup, just tell him you want a small network of a bunch of computers. Or if you have a DSL router for net access, some of those might contain a built in hub.By the way, I guess just like modems there could be network cards that offload the grunt work for the host PC's CPU (just like those "winmodems" there are as well - things that dont have much "brains" in themselves) - those are naturally to be avoided since taking power from PC CPU = less power for FS2002 of course.Setting up networking is a whole different thing though, I suggest you buy a book or something about how to set it up. It's not impossibly hard but explaining it here would be too lengthy.Tuomas

Guest MikePowell

Take a look on the Microsoft web site and search on "home network". They had a step by step list of directions called "setting up a home network" (or something very similar).Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfor for simpit builders