Sign in to follow this  

My First GA Cockpit Attempt (Pic's)

I finally (after two years of dreaming) Found the time and effort to put together my GA Cockpit. Since the Seneca is my favorite plane to fly in FS2002 I built my panel around the Seneca. I went so far as to take screen shots of a few of the panels on the dash and blow them up, print them on Vinyl bumper sticker paper (Office Depot) then stick that onto an aluminum plate then drill out and install the proper switches in the correct locations. Then using Key2mouse I was able to assign the mouse clicks to keystrokes then finally assign them to my switches Via a Hagstrom KE72. The resuls are simply AMAZING! They actually look and feel real when activating them, although I have to read the data they provide on the screen. The Left pedestal houses the KE72, On top of the left pedestal is the Start Control Panel with 4 Magneto switches, Batteries, Fuel Pumps, Starters, and generators. Then the Lower left rocker switch Panel is Lights. The lower right Rocker switches are for Anti Ice controls. The rest is Go-Flight equiptment. I am still not finished, I have installed an awesome Avionics Master switch since the photos were taken, and am currently working on a real Parking Brake handle to operate like the real one tripping microswitches at each full throw position to set and release the parking brake. Then a Go-Flight LGT panel on the lower right and then I will disassemble the entire thing for painting and upholstery. My intention was to be able to fly without the keyboard and mouse and I have surpassed that goal with flying colors! Thanks to all of you who have given me hints and advice, and especially to Alex, who without your friendship and encouragment, and the offer of the GF-MCP I don't believe this thing would have become as realistic as it did. :-) Thanks Buddy! Is this a great Hobby or what!http://www.fsd-international.com/temp/Cockpit.JPGhttp://www.fsd-international.com/temp/Avionics.JPGKen

Guest MikePowell

Very nice! Very nice, indeed.I don't think I have seen "bumper sticker paper" before. I presume you ran it through your printer?? I'm going to have to get some of that stuff. Looks real useful.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

You can also just print to regular paper and laminate it. There are "hot lamination" devices that dont really cost that much for A4 (approx. US Letter size) and there are also "cold lamination" pouches available that you just stick the paper in between the sheets and press hard to make it stick.The hot lamination stuff is what I used for my panel on the GA cockpit I did (posted pics to it a while ago, but here's one of them that shows how it works. Not as nice as painted on the surface or letraset lettering, but definitely easy and nice anyhow.http://tigert.gimp.org/vatsim/cockpit-stuf...topconsole5.jpgJust small screws or nails on the corners will make it look like a piece of metal panel.I used the same technique on the radio panels:http://tigert.gimp.org/vatsim/cockpit-stuff/radioknobs.jpgThough those need to be redone now that I have those dual-knobs, no need for that second hole. The radio panel has aluminium sheet backing for strength, but if you use white plexiglass I guess it will backlight nicely if your laser printer can make very dark black. Or just laminate two pieces and stick them exactly on top of each other. That should look nice with backlight.Oh, and this will make your panels look very real:ftp://ftp.simpits.org/pub/fonts/MS33558FONT.ZIPTuomas

<<<>>>I Had never seen it before either but it was easy and fairly cheap at the resuls were excellent. I trid to laminate with clear plastic but the larger panels would show wrinkles, with the sticker bacing it stays tight against the aluminum plate.. It just goes into your printer like regular paper.Ken

Guest Salbado

Nice job...can't wati to the paint and upholsery job...Yest, this is a very cooooool hobby. Like no other!

>Nice job...can't wati to the paint and upholsery job... >Yest, this is a very cooooool hobby. Like no other! Yeah. The paint does a *huge* difference! It looks good even now, but once you paint it, you'll be amazed.You could stick some black foam as a glareshield even, just cut a hole for the monitor part and stick it on top, that adds to the feeling as well. OR if you do the glareshield wiht thin plywood or something you can stick some leds or light bulbs under it for night lighting.Tuomas

<<<>>>Already planning on doing the top glareshield out of plywood and having enough overhang to put standard cockpit type instrument flood lights to indirectly illuminate the entire panel for night flight, also am going to connect the lighting to the panel lights switch so when I hit it, the sim panel on the screen, and my panel, all light up together. I have to finish the wiring first before I build and install the cover.Ken

Guest gasebah

Ken,very, very nice work my friend as I already stated. And thx fr the courtesy, it really feels good.Take care, and see you soon. I'm nervously awaiting that package of yours :-).Alex

Alex, Don't worry it shouldn't be ticking! :-) BTW I got some sheet teflon to cut out friction washers for my 6 lever throttle setup I am designing. Hope to have a mock up this weekend to check clearances and such. It will be a long way off unless I can find a very cheap CH 3 lever USB yoke to rip the guts out of.http://www.ktone.org/images/FSD_ken.jpg

>Thanks for the font, Tuomas. What did you use for your >magneto switch? I haven't been able to find a switch with >four positions plus a momentary. >>Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gif >BFU Forums Moderator It is just a rotary switch with restriction to 5 positions. Does not have the momentary part. Works good enough for now though, I just need to return to "BOTH" from "START" position when the engine fires up.Car starter keylocks could work but cars have just 4 positions usually, so those are not any better. And aircraft parts have aircraft prices..Although FS2002 does not really drop much RPM when you test magnetos so it is rather pointless to have such switch in that sense. But nice to be able to go through the checklist anyway. I wonder if one can tune the magneto-off RPM drop in aircraft.cfg? In reality it is much bigger than in FS2002 where everything is brand new and never breaks unless you tell it to :-)Tuomas