Sign in to follow this  
Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Two monitors on same PC

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Hi there,I know it may have been discussed many times before, but here goes...I just installed a 2nd VGA on my PC (PCI Viper 330) and my old 15" monitor. Extended the desktop and all work great!What I want to do is very simple. I always run FS full screen. On the 2nd monitor I just want to display Squawkbox, and other secondary programs that I run so that I don't have to return to the desktop each time I want to do something...But no... Windows (or FS) had another opinion! Whenever I click on anything on the 2nd monitor, FS minimizes on the primary monitor!!!!It's annoying! And normally from within FS I can't even move the mouse to the 2nd monitor. I did fins a way to overcome this but having FS minimize each time it's what I want to avoid.Any ideas?Thanks!George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

>Hi there, >>I know it may have been discussed many times before, but >here goes... >I just installed a 2nd VGA on my PC (PCI Viper 330) and my >old 15" monitor. Extended the desktop and all work great! >What I want to do is very simple. I always run FS full >screen. On the 2nd monitor I just want to display Squawkbox, >and other secondary programs that I run so that I don't have >to return to the desktop each time I want to do something... >But no... Windows (or FS) had another opinion! Whenever I >click on anything on the 2nd monitor, FS minimizes on the >primary monitor!!!! For Squawkbox to work like you want you need to install "HostSB.dll" - it makes a small empty window *inside* FS2002 that can swallow Squawkbox inside itself. So instead of running "SB Host Program for FS 2002" use Modules menu -> SB Host -> Run. Once your SB runs inside that one, it is "part of FS2002" and clicking Squawkbox wont cause FS2002 to switch to background. Well, only when you connect or file a flight plan. But not during flight. >It's annoying! And normally from within FS I can't even >move the mouse to the 2nd monitor. I did fins a way to >overcome this but having FS minimize each time it's what I >want to avoid. I have had this problem too. The mouse gets "locked" to only the first monitor. Two ways I know to work around it:1. Right click the main 3D view and choose "undock window" - then quikcly move the window a bit to the second screen and then "re-dock" it back - now you can move to the other screen again.2. Position your panel so that one or two pixels of the window border shows on the side of your main monitor. Then you can click that part carefully and that also "unlocks" the mouseI dont know what causes the problem, and what could fix it completely, but these help if you have a need to go to the other screen quickly.Building a home cockpit kind of solves the issue anyway since you do not need the mouse at all (except for squawkbox though - but search for a program called "RWControl" in Avsim.com library - it tunes your Roger Wilco according to your Com1 radio, thus making it unneccessary to touch the Squawkbox at all during the flight. Lovely thing especially if you have built yourself a radio panel with rotary knobs.Has someone tried that program by the way? There was also "rwswitch" that was supposed to do the same thing, but the implementation sucked a bit since it didnt take distances into account - result was you ended into Miami Control RW channel when you wanted to tune to Tampere Radar in Finland or something.. so not very ideal.. :-)So supposedly RWControl works better, but I would be happy to hear if it works well, since I havent had a change to try it out yet, the FS2002 computer is disassembled at the moment :-)Tuomas

what is your primary video output device in fs hardware settings?do not use primary device, instead select the proper device from the list.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

I don't use HOSTSB.dll because it crashes my FS!I've found several tricks to be able to move to the 2nd screen.The problem is that FS minimizes! I repeat I fly FS full screen mode. if I fly in windowed mode, it doesn't minimize!Primary VGA is a GF4 Ti4200 64Mb. I haven't tried to use the 2nd monitor on the same card using a DVI/VGA converter.In FS, I have selected the proper device (GF4) as the display.The 2ndary VGA is only used for extended desktop and 2D panel views (undocked gauges etc)...George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

no gentleman you should not have to do this , the problem is in your display setup.go to settings and you should see that it will say you are using primary display.under that you will see the actual vid cards that you are using for each monitor, select the the vid card that is your primary monitor, which most likely will be the one that you have connected to your agp port.once selected you will have no more of that problem, your mouse will go where ever you desire.

Guest gasebah

I have posted this for 100+ times. But obviously noone is listening.Alex

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Well... I DID listen, actually... read... and it worked... as far as the movement of the cursor is concerned...Regarding FS minimizing when clickin on any non-FS window, this still remains, and frankly I don't think that it can be solved...Thanks for your help guys.George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Giwrgo-do try the 2nd monitor on the same card.I had the same setup as you (with the PCI card), but it was giving me lots of trouble.Went to CosmoData (Glyfada - call them first for availability) and picked up a 10 Euro DVI to VGA cable (with a female/female VGA adapter, if your monitor doesn't support cables).I hooked the second monitor, using the cable, to the DVI output of my GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB card, and all is well.(Don't know about the specific issue with the full-screen mode, though).This is much faster, overall, though, as it doesn't have to go through the PCI bus.Cheers,

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Thanks Lefteri,Will try that as well. Already looking for that cable...Cosmodata huh... Could you email me approximately where they are?Thanks!George DorkofikisAthens, Greece