Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bud

Help with Rotary Switches

Guest Bud

I read posts here frequently and cant help feeling a little envious of the fact that everyone has so much expertise in electronics. What I know about this subject can be written in block capitals on a postage stamp and there would still be lots of room for the portrait of Her Majesty the Queen.In an effort to learn, I built a panel using an old keyboard card. Within its limitations, it worked surprisingly well. I tried a second generation this time with a Hagstrom encoder and that worked even better. What I would now like to try is generation three, the main objective being to get the rotary switches to work as they should. Unfortunately I haven't a clue how to go about it.Having scoured months of posts, I'm not a great deal wiser - I don't even understand the terms used!! So, let me put my foot in it - can I ask this - with some trepidation. Is the solution as straightforward as wiring up the rotaries to a rotary decoder such as I spotted on one site which can turn signals into events which can be passed to a Hagstrom?If this is the case, how could I, for eg, use such a set up to implement, let's say an altimeter knob - would some sort of gearing be necessary ?I'm sorry to be so hopeless - just hoping someone will take pity on a newbie and help, or point me in the direction of advice.Thanks for 'listening'.Bud

Hi Bud,it is not so difficult as it apperaes in the first moment.you have to distinguish between rotary switches and rotory encoders.the rotary switches have several positions and are soldered as serveal single switches. You use one common wire and for every positon one wire and connect them to the keyboardencoder. sample for this are the EFIS ND range selectors.for altutude , speed etc you use the rotary encoders. the encoders can be rotatet endlessly and they produce only an pulse every step you turn them. for this kind you need the rotary decoder wich translates these pulses into several closing actions like a switch. this can then be used from the keyboardencoder. hope i could help you a little bit.Achimhttp://a.bethke.bei.t-online.de

Hi BudJust mail to hagstrom with your specifications. I know they sell addons for their encoders, at least I;ve heard that from someobe lese who did the same.You then wire the rotary encoder to that addon and that is connected to the keyboard encoderThat shoul dbe allhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.bosch

Guest Bud

Many thanks guys. I'm encouraged to proceed with a new design. It will be a little time before I can proceed to build but I hope that I will be able to get further advice if it all goes pear-shaped.Bud

Guest PANTU

Hi Bud,just to throw in my 2 cts worth of opinion:It

Hi Peter, I have been to : http://www.knitter-switch.com but I did not know which of the encoders your were referring to in your post. Could you please post the part # if you have it. This is actually a very good solution and more cost-effective if you can use the encoders directly as it will obviate the need to buy or build another circuit to decode the pulses. thanks in advance,mofa

Guest PANTU

Hi Bud,the type I referred to is the MRP 1-20 (look at "MRP series")There is 2 different versions available:the MRP 1-20 and the MRP 1-20 RPlease check which one suits your mounting best.Hope this helps.best rgdsPeter

>Hi Bud, >>the type I referred to is the MRP 1-20 (look at "MRP >series") >There is 2 different versions available: >the MRP 1-20 and the MRP 1-20 R >>Please check which one suits your mounting best. >>Hope this helps. >>best rgds >>Peter That is the correct item number yeahHas anyone actually found a place that sells those for hobbyists and preferably does a mail order?Not the factory nor the finnish importer partner of them sells them to individuals, they only sell for manufacturers.. :-/Those units seem very nice and small compared to the ordinary rotary switches, so that they work nicely for "monitor behind plywood" -instrument panels etc..Tuomas

Guest Bud

Many thanks - anything that will make construction easier is good for me.Bud

Guest Bud

Hi Peter,I'm really grateful to you for taking the time to provide the heads up re Knitter-switch. I've now got some details - seems absolutely ideal. However, I can't quite get my head round how they should be used. Sorry to be so dense - and that's only one of my problems ! Could I impose on you further just to get clear what you were saying.I imagine I 've misunderstood but here goes. If I have terminals 7 to 9 free on my keyboard encoder, next to the common ground point, do I take it that all I have to do is to wire up the middle post of the rotary to the common ground and the right and left to, say, terminals 8 and 9 respectively and away I go into the far blue yonder, or have I got it completely wrong?Thanks Bud

Guest Bud

Hi Peter,I'm really grateful to you for taking the time to provide the heads up re Knitter-switch. I've now got some details - seems absolutely ideal. However, I can't quite get my head round how they should be used. Sorry to be so dense - and that's only one of my problems ! Could I impose on you further just to get clear what you were saying.I imagine I 've misunderstood but here goes. If I have terminals 7 to 9 free on my keyboard encoder, next to the common ground point, do I take it that all I have to do is to wire up the middle post of the rotary to the common ground and the right and left to, say, terminals 8 and 9 respectively and away I go into the far blue yonder, or have I got it completely wrong?Thanks Bud

Guest Bud

Sorry about posting the above question twice!. I'm keen to try the knitter switches. I have trawled around every supplier of components in the UK, and none of 'em has any stock.Does anybody know of a supplier - anywhere.Bud

Peter,Have you used these switches? Are they any good?If so this looks like a cheap option compared with having to buy a rotary encoder board.Darren

Guest PANTU

Hi All,using these rotary switches for all my rotary inputs (radio, etc)and they work very nicely, especially in combination with FSBus. But also a keyboard encoder would do.No need for decoder IC etc. Just to be used like a pair of switches which identify the direction of turn by itself.For around 4 bucks each, not a big deal either.@ Budyou got it right. Taking your example: Middle post to the common and the 8 to either left or right contact (depending on turn direction to represent) and the 9 to the other post.That

Peter, You said that you can get these switches for about four bucks a piece. Could you tell me where you can find them for sale? I live in the Norhteast U.S. so someplace states side would be great, but any dealer that would sell them to an individual would be appreciated.Thanks, Rich