Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bud

Help with Rotary Switches

Guest LeoL

I've been looking for inexpensive rotary switches myself and I've just ordered some from Digi-Key.I don't know if these are what you're looking for but the price is good.For about $4-$5 each depending on code type and with or without detents check out these: CT3001-ND, CT3002-ND, CT3003-NDOr for about $2.57 there's the P10859-ND, P10860-ND. I'm getting these since the output is easier to decode for my needs using an inexpensive PIC micro.Ooops, sorry prices are in Canadian dollars!-Leo

Guest RichardL

Alright Peter. How about filing us in on how and where you got those Knitter switches. You have a bunch of guys out here foaming at the mouth over them!Richard

Guest Bud

After trawling round loads of suppliers, I finally got through to the main Knitter Switch agents in the UK. They tell me that the Distributers listed on the K/S web site do not keep stocks of the components but they mat be able to supply me directly from the main UK Agency. The supply may depend on the number of units I want which could be unfortunate. Anyway I've asked for more info and some cost quotes and I'll see what happens. So far as I can see there does not appear to be a main agency in the USA.Bud

Guest RichardL

Bud,I checked with Mouser and they could not help with the Knitter switch. Mouser also had no substitute within their supplier chain.Gee Bud, why don't help us all out and become a distributer! I could use eight. I'll be your first customer.Richard

Guest Bud

RichardY' never know - it may come to that! I'm just waiting to see what is the minimum quantity the main UK Agency is prepared to sell.I'll post a note when the Sales Manager gets back to me. Was rather hoping that would be today but he hasn't. Maybe he's still laughing at my request for 20 !!Bud

Guest RichardL

Hi Bud,Are you completely sure about these switches? Seems to good to be true. Am I correct in that:- you can rotate them clockwise or counter-clockwise.- they can be connected directly to an encoder board.- a key press is sent at every detent.- the clockwise key press can be different from the counter-clockwise key press.- they're inexpensive.Come on. Are we over-looking something?I'll up my order to ten if that helps.Richard

Guest Bud

Richard,Know what you mean. This wasn't actually my call. See Peter's post of 21 Feb. I'm happy if he is !!Bud

Guest PANTU

Hi Richard,those "Knitter" rotary switches are in fact Switches, NOT rotary Encoders. That makes the big difference and hence it is possible to connect them directly to a keyboard encoder (like 2 switches) . They act like 2 independant (but with 1 common contact, middle contact) keys (switches) whereby the direction detection is solved solely by a simple mechanical solution. Rotary encoders however deliver pulses which are phase shifted by 90 degrees and therefore need a decoder circuitry to identify in which direction you turn the knob. They are more precise but also more expensive and need additional electronics to make them work.Knitter sells them over here Germany even in small quantities.If you are going to order them keep in mind to order a few more as spare parts as they are basically made out of plastic and may get worn out sooner or later.Hope that is of some help.Best regardsPeter

Guest RichardL

Hey Peter,Thanks for the information and your posting of the existance of such a switch. I would like to use them in an Airbus setup. Specifically, to change the altimeter, heading, speed, altitude, and vertical speed. Do you see any problems with using the Knitter switch for these functions? A few more questions if I may:- What do you mean by the Knitter switch not being a "precise" as a rotary encoder? The number of detents? Or does the Knitter switch skip if you rotate it to fast?- I know Bud has a quote in process, but do you know of any on-line suppliers that ship to the US? I didn't see any U.S. suppliers on the Knitter website.Thanks, Richard

Guest RichardL

Peter,Sorry for now being clear. I have already built my flightdeck; I'm just trying to make everything work.I used a GF-166 remote mount kit from GoFlight for the radio panel and transponder. The radio panel controls comm 1, comm 2, nav, and ADF. Transponder is on it's own -166 RMK board. Works great.I've been watching the FSBUS site. Was waiting for v1.4 and the English documentation.Richard

Guest RichardL

Hey Bud,Any news on the quote?Richard

Bud,Have you tried Farnell, they have a Mechanical Encoder E27, manufactured by Elma which seems to be very similar to the Kitter offering. If you want to mail me direclty I'll send you the .PDF on the E27.Regards,Niall

Guest Bud

Niall,Thanks very much. Not having any joy getting hold of the knitter as yet. I'd like details of the E27 - where can I mail you directly.Bud

Guest Bud

Richard,Hi - v disappointing, I've had no response to my query, nor to two reminders. It's what, a week now, guess they're just ignoring me. It must be that they don't supply in small numbers, but I would've expected the courtesy of a reply.BTW I also emailed the main office in Germany - didn't get a reply from there either ! Have to say I'm at a loss now. Peter - any ideas?See earlier post, Niall has come up with another suggestion - I'd like to see the details of what he has. Bud