Sign in to follow this  

Cockpit water feature!

Has anyone ever tried this? What I have in mind is adding two water trays, one above and one below the windsreens of my cockpit, with perforations in the upper tray so it can drop water onto the windscreens and then recollect in the bottom tray. I'll then rig a pump to it to circulate the water and add windscreen wipers (off a car) to the exterior. I was thinking of making it a sealed unit, i.e. enclosed in perspex, due to the proximity of the monitors etc. How feasible does this sound to you all? I think it might be quite cool. Of course I'll have to rig the pump to FS to operate only when it 'rains'. Anyone know how I could do this?Also, I realise there will be no slipstream acting on the water but it might still look OK, especially with the wipers going. Do real full motion simulators have this? Maybe they should!!

If you have gotten to this stage in you cockpit, I sure would like to see what you have... Good idea..Don't see why it would not work, just don't spring a leak... Put a fan on it to push the water across the winscreen between wipes.... What a fun hobby this is...FOX

Guest PeterK

PeterKI never had water as an option but i had a rear windshield wipermotor off of a plymouth horizon that functioned when the motor was turned on with a CB radio 12 volt power pack..This was on a cockpit some years ago back in the fs5.1 daysIt was pretty cool to look through the wiper blade beating along at the VGA monitor..Ill note it fell apart a few times too!The same concept was used on the TV series Voyage to the bottomsea back in the 1960s...water was sprayed on the view ports to give the feeling that the sub was on the surface...Also on thunderbirds and UFO the subs were shot behind a 1 inch widefish tank with bubbles and guppies to give the look of being under water...I flew in a Cessna402 this summer from nantucket Ma to hyannisas we plowed along at 150kts we hit a rain squal ...Ill say therain whacked the windshield pretty hard and rapped against the wholeframe...Its funny what you fly in fs2002 and the rain pitter pattersagainst the windshield like your in a ford windstar...Funny the prop on the cessna seems to have no affect niether...Water seems like a cool idea...but i think the illusion of waterusing the high speed windshield wiper motor plodding along mightwork better for you than really having water dripping on glass...It a hobby have fun..pete Http://home.attbi.com/~fs-boneyard