Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

Please help--Gamport to USB

Guest gasebah

Hi,I bought a new computer yesterday. Problem:My old AETI Yoke is gameport but the new computer will not support gameport at all!! Not even if I install a soundcard with a gameport. How are the options to convert the gameport to USB? How good is the suff u cna buy.? Is there any chance I can use all buttons of my yoke?Or should I get rid of the mobo?Any reports are appreciated.Alex

Guest LeoL

I had a similar problem a while back with my Thrustmaster throttle and stick. The popular gameport to USB adapters support only 4 buttons and 4-axis, exactly like a conventional gameport. So if your yoke fits these requirements, you'll do fine.I bought the RadioShack adapter and it worked fine, but was limited for my needs so I made my own.I don't see why you cannot enable your midi port on your sound card. Do you have the latest drivers installed for both your sound card and mobo?-Leo

Guest gasebah

Leo thanks yes I have. It has somethign to do with the mobo. It is a stripped down OEM version that won't support it.Alex

Guest LeoL

Hmmm, that's simply weird! I've have had lots of problems myself, getting windows to detect my gameport on my sound card. If you're sound card is an external PNP type, then look for a "JEN" jumper on it to enable the port. Mine has this jumper.I've also found in win2K that even after I install the port I need to reboot windows in order for it to work regardless of the fact that it doesn't ask to!Then again, this is all perhaps another reason to go with USB and avoid all these bloody headaches;)FYI-took a quick look on Ebay and you can find a 4 port USB adapter! No idea how it comes up in the joystick manager tho. Might come up as one big device or 4 separate devices, regardless it should have plenty of inputs for your yoke. Check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4&category=3677-Leo

Hey Leo, I was just looking through the forums for information about USB adaptors. I have the RadioShack version and I'm playing around with different value pots but I don't think it works very well at all. The output seems to be in large steps ?I am wondering how hard it is to build these from scratch. Also I suppose I could by a couple of cheap Logiteck sticks that are USB and gut them for parts. All I want is the basics. Throttle, pedals, trim controls for now.Any help please and thanks.Mike

Guest LeoL

The key thing to note is that there are two parameters to keep track of with these modules. Resolution and sensitivity. Resolution is the number of steps for full-scale reading. Ex. max 32 steps for the x or y axis movement. Sensitivity determines the number of degrees a pot needs to be turned to reach 32 steps. With a 100k pot this might be only 30deg.The only thing you can change externally with the RadioShack module is the sensitivity. You cannot modify the max number of steps (i.e. 32). That's set in the code.If you feel like experimenting, replace the caps with one in the range of 1800pF to 2700pF since they are using a 6MHz xtal. They

Guest LeoL

WOW! Hey thanks for the advice Peter! I tried it and it worked much much better than I thought. Who knew...all this time I had a dig camera on my desk and didn't even know it...;)Anyway, this is my first USB prototype for my ThrustMaster WCS throttle. The gutted green PCB is all that's left of the original keyboard emulation circuit. I guess that voids the warranty :( I'm now using it only for the 15 pin Joystick connector and the LEDs. I didn't want to remove it and have all those empty holes.The Cypress micro is the only thing missing since I'm currently using it on another project for testing. All the wires you see are just the inputs 4-axis pots, analog HAT and 12 button inputs including the rocker switch for a total of 24 buttons. I'm using software for keyboard emulation.-Leo

You like that scanner trick, eh? It's great for closeup shots. No need for a macro lens ;-)Your WCS prototype is pretty cool. I have a WCS Mk II, Pro FCS, and RCS (before they went plastic) from long, long ago. Maybe it's time to "upgrade" them :-)Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums Moderator