Sign in to follow this  

Which Interface to Use - King AIr Project ?

Hi all..I'm at that stage of my King AIr project to start ordering my interface. The problem I have is I'm real confused on which to go with i.e. EPIC, Hagstrom, FDS InterfaceIT, FSBUS (although no English docs yet) etc.... Can any one make comments on what I should go with based on the following needs:1) Have about 20-30 ON/OFF and momentary switches to interface to most FS2K commands2) Need to drive displays for 2 COM's, 2 NAVS, ADF,Transponder, Altiitude setting and alert3) Autopilot switches4) Warning lights (probably about 20)5) Like to add in a GPS (probably Garmin 530)and FMS later but not for first phase6) If I decided to use keybard interface method (strip down etc.) could it drive the radio displays etc...??I'm not a programmer or electronic wizard so looking for the easiest one for me to implement. I'd really appreciate your thoughts as I don't want to buy something which is way more than I need.Thanks a bunch for your help...JB

Guest MikePowell

Hi JB,Any of the approaches you list will move you toward your goal. A Hagstrom encoder or a hacked keyboard will only offer input, however. Each of the approaches requires software or configuring software, as well as some amount of hardware work. I don't think there is an "easy" approach. So much depends upon the skills or help you you can bring with you as you work on your project. Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest Dodiano

In my humble opnion I think it depends a lot on your budget, time and knowledge...If electronics is not your thing nor proggramming don

Guest PANTU

Hi JB,check this, whether for you too complicated to do.It

Thanks to everyone for their input on this. I started to look at Hagstrom 'cos of the price. The guy at Hagstrom said they are coming up with a solution to drive displays for radios etc. and he said it would be available spring ..he gave no other info but if they keep price down then this should do it for me....Anybody heard the same as I heard from Hagstrom ? If so anyone know more details ?Thanks again for everyones helpful comments...JB

You did not mention aerosoft australia in your listhttp://www.mcp747.com/I use this after long thought between EPIC and aerosoft (the others are of more recent date). Ofcourse this MCP does not resemble the one of the kingair but in due time there will be expansion modules for the aerosoft through which you can connect leds and 7segment leds and all kind of switches. Besides that it has 4 gameports on the back.To one of them I connected my throttlequadranthttp://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.boschIn comparison to EPIC aerosoft is cheap and no programming knowledge is necessaryGood to hear that hagstrom is thinking about displays too.good luckNorbert Bosch

Norbert,I am going to have to respectfully disagree because I think the Aerosoft MCP would be over kill for a King Air project. Note in the image below that where you would normally find an MCP in a 737/747/757/767, in the King Air is simply an annunciator display over the NAV/COM/GPS stack: http://www.raytheonaircraft.com/products/t...0_cockpit02.jpg