Sign in to follow this  

Knitter switch-fsuipc and usb game pads

I am sorry if this is old news but since I started my cockpit only a week ago (cessna 172) I thought I sould share my progress so far.I bought 2 really cheap USB gamepads for 8 usd, each has 12 buttons so I got a total of 24 buttons.On this buttons I assighned different functions with FSUIPC and I connected them to tongle switches ,push buttons and knitter rotaries and everything works fine ,FSUIPC has an opttion to bypass the repeat problem with the tongle switches.(I also hacked a keyboard but I prefer a setting with 4+ gamepads).Right now I am in the process of fixing a radio stack using FSLCD for display the NAV/COM data and I am about to order the real simkit instruments.It's really exciting to "Fly" without mouse and keyboard..........:))Tassos

Guest RichardL

Tassos,Sounds like you have a good plan for system functions. Would you mine letting us know where you found the Kitter rotary switches.Also, what is FSLCD?Richard

Guest seev_39

Hi Tassos,I am building my final (after prototype) multi function desktop controller which includes a module for Cessna 152, 172, 182. I put in this module the following functions;master switch for starting engine - a car keybattary switch - red 3 position rocker switchAlternator switch - red 3 position rocker switchMix leverThrottle leverProp leverAll are based on a hagstrom encoder and work great, especially the levers of which I was doubtful, but they are better than 100 k ohm pots. Each lever operates 2 push buttons with strong springs that give enough resistance. This layout can give you some ideas for building your setup and enable you to go through the whole check list, including starting the engine (the sound and smoke is great).Unfortunately it is impossible to place a picture on the forum, but I will be happy to send you one if you give me your e-mail.Seev

I found a source in Budapest Hungary that sells knitter switches even in small numbers (I got 20 of them just to be sure).FSLCD is a program that reads from fs to LPT to LCD (20x4), the parameters are user configurable.If you are interested have a look at http://www.mikkila.org/fsbusTassos

It will be very helpfull to have some pics.My e-mail is cybervet@mail.tvnet.huTassos

>battary switch - red 3 position rocker switch >Alternator switch - red 3 position rocker switch Just curious, why 3-position?>Unfortunately it is impossible to place a picture on the >forum, but I will be happy to send you one if you give me >your e-mail. It should be possible to attach images, when composing a new message, click the "Attachment" below the text area (there is a "click here to choose your file", then on the popup choose your file to add and upload. Then click the "close this window" link and the image ID gets added to the attachment field, and once you post the message it should show up.Tuomas

Guest seev_39

Hi Tuomas,Good to hear from you again.The answer for the 3 position rocker switch is simple - I just couldn't find a two position one. I wanted something that looks similar to the battery and alternator switches of the C172 and that's what I found. I use only the on/off poles. I will try again to place the pictures, but in my previous try I got "contact your forum administrator, remote uplaoding denied" message. The files are 28 kb and 42 kb, that shouldn't be a problem.Tuomas, If it wan't go please contact me via the e-mail option and I will send you the images.Best to all of youSeev

>The answer for the 3 position rocker switch is simple - I >just couldn't find a two position one. I wanted something >that looks similar to the battery and alternator switches of >the C172 and that's what I found. I use only the on/off >poles. Yep. I was lucky to find a dual one, Google even found the manufacturer, but I have no idea who carries those, I got mine from www.spelektroniikka.fi, a small finnish electronics store. http://www.china-ningbo.net/switch/rs24.htmAs you can see it even has the two separate switches in the same case. And the rocker part is red.http://www.china-ningbo.net/switch/rs24.files/j22.jpgAlthough with the simpit stuff, it always boils down to: use whatever works. You build the thing so that flying the sim feels more realistic and you can get rid of the mouse. That is the important thing. Good looks is always fun, but I mean, the Cessna I fly at the aviation club is not very fancy looking inside... it's the flying itself and the stuff you see out of the windows that makes it cool.. :-)>I will try again to place the pictures, but in my previous >try I got "contact your forum administrator, remote >uplaoding denied" message. The files are 28 kb and 42 kb, >that shouldn't be a problem. That is strange. Uploads usually work for me at least.>Tuomas, If it wan't go please contact me via the e-mail >option and I will send you the images. If you want, mail them to me and I can try to attach them here?Tuomas

Guest kdarling

Greetings, Tuomas!Homebuilders should also be sure to get a catalog from:www.aircraftspruce.comIf you go to that site, choose Electrical/Switches... and you'll find a real Cessna dual power switch for about $14.They also have some nice throttle quadrants for homebuilt aircraft, some with three levers for about $35 which could be hacked. (You can only see pictures for these in their printed catalog, which is free to the U.S.)Best,Kevin