Sign in to follow this  
michal

North Pole Routes in FS2k2.

Hi, folks! As far as i know, there are many airlines fly upon North Pole of the earth. So dose anyone know FS2k2 contains this scenery?And... are we able to fly upon North Pole? Thanx! :DKE082

Guest Dominik Mann

Well, you can try flying over the pole, but be prepared to encounter some weird effects. There's an article about an attempted trans-polar flight at http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/op-ed/ed273.htm , which actually sounds quite amusing ;-) . Probably has to do with the way the world is modelled in FS (or, on a more humorous note, M$ seem to adhere to those ancient ideas of the "border of the world" where all kinds of strange things may happen to you if you dare to cross it...)

Guest Dominik Mann

Yup, and you cannot sail beyond the Columns of Heracles and expect to live either :-lol . Methinks that M$ were really inconsequent in permitting planes to fly farther west than Gibraltar...oh, wait, who is the heretic who claims man could or should actually try to intrude into the birds' domain? We have to get him back onto the path of the True Faith :-hah !Seriously...why M$ decided to model Earth as being flat is beyond me...*rant mode OFF*

Well I read the article about the recent attempt, and the strange things that occured around Greenland, etc. However, I flew my PIC/Posky 767 from Seattle to Moscow some time ago and experienced nothing very strange, (except the compass went kind of crazy from time to time).It was dark and I was over solid cloud cover most of the time, so I don't know too much abut the terrain that I flew over. Anyway, there is my 2 cents worth.Good Luck!Vonat1

I tried it once. A number of "interesting" things happened.1. I got "stuck". I was flying at cruise power but I didn't move at all when looking down at the ground.2. All the textures started flickering3. I switched to map view and FS crashed to the desktop :)The world according to Microsoft :D

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

After reading the article on Flightsim.com, I decidede to try the polar flight, and around N88 I had a huge crosswind so I was flying diagonally, and at N89*30' I just flew into a wall and stopped dead, and I then flew sideways. This is what the pic shows. I decided to land on this strange terrain, and when I finally managed to stop, the ground began sliding around underneath me, but I wasn't moving.Strange things can happen in FS.Paul Felz

Guest Dominik Mann

Same thing happened to me. I was flying a DC-8 over the pole, but d*mn if I wasn't surprised to see her flying sideways. I also tried flying from Alert in the extreme north of Canada, and also got the sliding terrain effect. Sheesh...

>there are many airlines fly upon North Pole of the earth. Nope, very few airlines actually fly over the North Pole (there are reasons for that). You can probably count on one hand all flights that traverse the North Pole. Continental's Newark-Beijing is one of them.Michael J.

I know that MS has trouble with polar locations, but so do real airlines too. If you think about it, while over the north pole, every direction is "south". It's no wonder that software has trouble in resolving this.Bruce.

Actually more flights will be going over the North Pole. Couple days ago on our Company Intranet (news updated twice daily) here at Boeing we were notified about some airline that had just revised their route to over the Pole after getting overflight permissions from China and Russia. Here's the report:

Air China 747-400 flies North Pole routeAir China today completed a polar route validation flight using a Boeing 747-400. The flight originated in New York City and flew directly to Beijing on a route over the North Pole. Polar route operation will reduce travel time between Beijing and New York by more than three hours and decrease fuel consumption. This gives passengers the convenience of non-stop direct flights and reduces operating costs for the airline. The opening of cross-polar routes began in 2001 as air space over the former Soviet Union has become available to air carriers. Air China will be China

>I know that MS has trouble with polar locations, but so do >real airlines too. If you think about it, while over the >north pole, every direction is "south". It's no wonder that >software has trouble in resolving this. Bruce,Not flying over the North Pole has absolutely nothing to do with software (in real life). It has to do with operational issues like fuel freezing issues & ETOPS airports. Michael J.

Thanks, Michael.Isn't there also a "grid" system of navigation that airlines use in the polar regions, that's a product of converging longitudes at those latitudes? Bruce.