Sign in to follow this  

New Builder Questions

Hi Fellow builders,My dad got me interested in this hobby, but I'm a little lost with how to get started.I see a lot of home built decks that have multiple monitors for outside views as well as the instruments but I don't know which software to consider.1) I looked at Project Magenta; FSUIPC; Wideview and some others...Do I need all of these, or is there some overlap?2) Do I need to buy an Epic or are there other options?3) Is there a site where I can get an overview of how everything works together?Thanks, and I hope to be building soon!AirHog

Guest MikePowell

AirHog,FSUIPC is an interface module that you may need for certain add-ons, Project Magenta and WideView among them. You don't have to have them to build a simpit, though you may choose to as your project grows.There are alternatives to EPIC. Dirk's system over at FSBUS.DE is one. There are others. First step is to determine what functionality you need, then choose I/O hardware.For an overview please visit my site. Also read Roland vanRoy's "DIY Cockpit" write up here in the Avsim library, and "How to Build Kev's Cockpit" in the how-to section at FlightSim.comMikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders

Guest groundpounder75

Hey Mike,I was on your site last night for a long time. I wanted to tell you that your site is great and very informative. I am trying to start up a 747-400 cockpit now but I am in flight school so it is a little hard to do but when the time comes I will have good information to start with. Thanks for the great site!

Guest MikePowell

Thank you.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Hi Mike,Thanks for the info and link to your site...looks like I have a lot of reading to do to come close to understanding all that's involved.Great web site!I'm sure I'll be asking thousands more questions.AirHogEric