Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bud

Help with Rotaries Revisited

Guest Bud

Kev,Thanks for that - I don't really have any test equipment. Such a test is way beyond the limit of my feeble brain. At the mo' I still think the prob could be with the programming of the Hagstrom USB. I'll drop H. a note and ask their view.Bud

Guest Bud

Peter, Thanks - yep I think I will email Hagstrom to get a view from them. There are considerable differences, for eg, in the way that the USB is programmed, compared to the units which plug in via a keyboard connection. This could be the source of the problemBud

Guest Bud

OK, I've now had a reply from Hagstrom - those guys really are a good bunch. They say that it should be possible to use the USB in the same manner as the KE72. In order to get it to work, the assignment of the keystrokes to the USB unit is done in a slightly non-standard way. I'm still looking for clarification of one aspect of this but it's looking hopeful.Bud

Guest Bud

Sorry that the end of this saga has been delayed. The v. small person appeared to believe that his needs took precedence over flight sims. Education re. life priorities begins next week.The rotaries now DO work with the Hagstrom USB following advice received. Have to say my sense of excitement when I saw the test work was totally out of proportion to the 'achievement'. For folks without a Hagstrom USB, the explanation will be meaningless. However, for this purpose, the Shift key is programmed by pressing the LShift key on the pop-up keyboard representation. The shift box on the main graphic display is not pressed at all. Actually if I had half the sense I was born with I should probably have worked this out for myself. Anyway that's it.I'm so grateful to everyone who provided advice, and in particular to Kevin and Peter - many thanks guys. Also I hope all who've read these threads have had some amusement from them!Guess my next project should be builing a throttle . . . . hey I bet you all can't wait for that Bud

Guest RichardL

Hi Bud,Still waiting for a response from Newark and Arrow.I also have a Hagstrom USB keyboard encoder. Any idea if your system will work with Project Magenta Airbus FCU keyboard commands? In particular:F1/F4 Increase/Decrease AirspeedF5/F6 Increase/Decrease HeadingF7/F8 Increase/Decrease Verticle SpeedF9/F12 Increase/Decrease AltitudeCtrl Y Decrease AltimeterCtrl U Increase AltimiterRichard

Guest Salbado

Hi Richard,I suspect you are using Peter Cos' Push Pull rotaries, I too am trying to do the same thing with the Project Magenta airbus commands for the FCU. Please let me know how you make out with the knitter stuff... Regards. Thanks.

Guest RichardL

Hi Salbado,No, actually I developed a different setup for the rotaries. Used a few different ideas I saw and built a push-pull rotary sytem that works for me.I talked to Arrow today and was told Knitter could not be sourced. I then emailed Spoerle to see if they export to the US.Still waiting for Newark to work a quote. Initially, their answer was no, but I then tried a different route. We will see what they say.Richard

Guest Bud

Hi Richard,Glad to see you're still trying for the knitter switches. I'd still be interested if you could get a source. It does seem really odd that they are unwilling to sell their product.As to your query re Project Magenta remember this is not my system - this is all thanks to Kevin and Peter. I suspect that the F combinations will not work - I seem to remember in some of the earlier posts in Kevin's original thread, this was raised.The Cntrl combinations as you set them out won't work either. What does work is the use of Cntrl in place of shift with another single character. Hope that makes sense.Bud

Guest RichardL

Hey Bud,Thanks for the update. Now that I think about it, that other post you're referring to may have been mine. That post was about using a stripped down keyboard. I thought, since you were using a Hagstrom unit, the F and control commands might work.Will post here when I learn more on the Knitter switches.Richard

Guest Bud

Hello Richard,Been thinking about your Magenta situation. I know absolutely nothing about the Magenta set up, but can you tell me, is it possible to increment and decrement the values you want by way of mouse clicks rather than the keyboard. If so, there is a fairly easy way to solve your problem and to utilise the Hagstrom. Bud

Guest RichardL

Hey Bud,Yes you can increment with a mouse. PM has an FCU program for the Airbus. The FCU is the Airbus version of an autopilot. The PM software has a graphic of the FCU with knobs and numeric readouts. All controlled by the mouse or keyboard commands.I tried a program called KeyToMouse or something like that along time ago. The problem was the FCU had to have the "focus" or it wouldn't work.In my case, the FCU software is started but might not have focus since I use a real (plexiglass) FCU panel to control the FCU software.That may not be what you're refering to, but I just thought I'd let you know other things I have tried.Richard

Guest Bud

Hello Richard,Key2mouse is exactly what I was referring to. The latest version is much better that the predecessor and it might be worth your while giving it another go. Did you actually get to the stage of creating a k2m cfg file, or would the thing not work at all?Bud

Guest RichardL

To be honest Bud, it was so long ago, I don't remember much about it. Sort of like a bad dream.I will give it another go.Thanks,Richard

Guest RichardL

Update on the North American hunt for Knitter Switch MRP 1-20/1-20R.Terrible!!!Mouser unable to source.Newark unable to source even though their parent company is Farnell which does stock some Knitter items.My email directly to Farnell: As of today, unanswered.My email directly to Spoerle: As of today, unanswered.My email directly to Knitter: As of today, unanswered.Doesn't look good!Richard