Sign in to follow this  
Cactus521

You all are probobly sick of hearing about frame rates

Before I start, here are my computer specs.Pentium 4 2.0 GGeforce 4 TI4200256 MB DDR RamWindows 98 SEMy frame rates are sort of on the low side, say between 10-20. 10 at airports like KLAS (Las Vegas) and 20 around KMKE (Milwaukee). My resolution setting is at 1152 X 864 X 32. All settings are maxed out except auto-gen and scenery density which is set at dense. The dynamic scenery is also off, along with water reflections, aircraft reflections and shadows. I only use default scenery. Sometimes I get jaggies on the runways in front of me, and blurriness everywhere.The only way I can get it to look half descent is when I have the resolution super high with a 32 bit setting and full screen mode. I have not done any tweaking. I just use the 30.XX drivers.If anyone has any suggestions, please reply ASAP.I really think that I should be getting more out my system.P.S. Do you think that installing Win XP pro would do anything for FS2002?http://www.webspawner.com/users/ahay/banner.jpegRegards,Aaron

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Try Riva Tuner from http://www.guru3d.comSet the Mip Map LOD to about -1, 4x Anti Aliasing, and experiment with Anisotropic Filtering. You should see a big improvement with the details. Of course, this will impact the frame rates. If they get too low, try dropping the res down to 1024x768.Edit: Also, try 3DMark 2001 from http://www.madonion.com That gives you a baseline on how fast your computer is.Matt

I'm running 98SE, under virtually identical settings, although I run with AI off most of the time. My P3/800 & GeF/2 Ti combo scores 10 fps w/Autogen at Vegas, and 25 fps given the Milwaukee example.What's different?I run 800x600x32. It looks outstanding.... One factor is I have applied two of the most common (and needed) tweaks for Nvidia cards--I've set my LOD to -.5, and I've enabled anisotropy. In FS, I'm also using Anti-Aliasing.Keeping the AI off makes a substantial difference, especially in places like Vegas. It can also contribute to blurries, to a certain degree. Think of AI as a bunch of moving texture slots. Some of the more complex aircraft are using 5-10 megs of bitmaps.I think your performance seems low, but I can only base that on having never seen your system. I'd expect, given your cpu speed, that you'd see nearly double my performance, with AI off. With AI on and maxed, I can forget Vegas on my system. Pretty much becomes a slide show. So I leave it off--I prefer flying anyway, as opposed to watching other birds in the air. If I want to see AI, I just replay my own flights. Of course "AI" stands for "Awesome Intelligence" when it comes to my own sim piloting skills :)-John